starter cranks with remote shifter in any position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter cranks with remote shifter in any position

I just noticed today my 1998 25 hr Yamaha with a 703 remote con*****er cranks the starter with shift lever in any position. I assume the ( neutral safety switch ) should prevent this? I didn't try to start engine since i have no water available at this time.
    Also can you bypass key switch in an emergency situation to get back to dock by jumping 12 volts to a wire location on engine and than rope pull to start motor?

Jumper the red wire to the yellow wire. Then jumper the red wire to the brown wire.

Would appear that your neutral safety switch has failed closed.

Comment

yes the switch in the shifter should stop the starter from spinning.

the key in off position and/or kill switch pulled will ground the spark so the motor will not start/run

Comment

Thanks for the information-
        So I'll inspect the safety switch, I suspect someone might have jumped it out. To start motor with rope pull I assume I wouldn't have to jump red to brown for starter solenoid? But I would have to jump red ( battery positive to yellow/red that goes to CDI unit. Is this correct? I'm just thinking this information might come in handy some day- I tend to overthink sometimes. Thanks Bill

Comment

I could unplug warning light from yellow/red wire going to CDI unit and plug in 12 volts?

Comment

I am thinking that that motor does not need 12 volts to the CDI for the motor to run, the red to brown wire is to energize the starter.
            the turning of the flywheel generates the voltage needed to produce spark
            the key just needs to be in the on position for the spark to get to the plugs and then use the rope to spin the motor to start if the battery /starter will not turn the motor

Comment

boscoe99 - Says to jumper yellow wire to red wire to duplicate key in on position I'm assuming. So the red wire would be 12 volts and the only yellow/r wire I see on the wiring diagram starts out as a pink wire at ing switch and connects to the warning light and than changes to yellow/r and enters the CDI. I could be way off on this but I'm trying. I could check the voltage at yellow/r wire with key on or off. Thanks Bill

Comment

So if you lost the key - short of taking the 703 remote con*****er apart - how could you duplicate the key being on at the engine - and i think boscoe99 is saying to jump red to yellow/r.

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman363 View Post
                  So if you lost the key - short of taking the 703 remote con*****er apart - how could you duplicate the key being on at the engine - and i think boscoe99 is saying to jump red to yellow/r.
                  I would think that if you lost the key, you could get a spare key from a Yamaha dealer.

but you can try undoing the 10 pin wiring cable at the motor and then start it with a rope, but you would not have a way to kill the motor without hooking the cable back together.
                  You can try that there in the driveway if you get some water hooked to the motor for running

Boscoe will have to say why you need to hook red to yellow, cause I do not know

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    I am thinking that that motor does not need 12 volts to the CDI for the motor to run, the red to brown wire is to energize the starter.
                    the turning of the flywheel generates the voltage needed to produce spark
                    the key just needs to be in the on position for the spark to get to the plugs and then use the rope to spin the motor to start if the battery /starter will not turn the motor
                    I am now with you on this. I don't see a yellow wire from the key switch back to the motor. I only just now got the SM opened up to see what is the situation with the OP's model.

Comment

Originally posted by fisherman363 View Post
                      Thanks for the information-
                      So I'll inspect the safety switch, I suspect someone might have jumped it out. To start motor with rope pull I assume I wouldn't have to jump red to brown for starter solenoid? But I would have to jump red ( battery positive to yellow/red that goes to CDI unit. Is this correct? I'm just thinking this information might come in handy some day- I tend to overthink sometimes. Thanks Bill
                      Appears that all you would have to do is to jumper the red wire to the brown wire. You CDI apparently does not need battery power to operate it.

Comment

Comment

So my question is - The engine won't run with the key off- so what does turning the key on do? And if you lost the key or the ing switch went bad what would you have to do to duplicate turning the key on.
                          Last edited by fisherman363; 12-29-2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

There is no yellow wire leaving the 703 con*****er according to the wiring diagram ( the boat is in storage 5 miles away so I can't check it right now ). So maybe the r wire is grounded in the con*****er when the switch is off so the engine won't run and when you switch the key to on it ungrounds the r wire and allows the engine to run. So 99yam40 might be right when he says to disconnect wiring cable --that would disconnect the ground and jump solenoid.

Comment

red is battery 12 V pos, so that does not get grounded anywhere.
                              if it did it would be a dead short

I am thinking white maybe the one that gets grounded to kill spark, but I am not completely sure about that.

the kill switch and the key switch grounds the ignition system to keep spark from happening.

most people do not pull the key out so they do not loose the key and they keep a spare just incase they do

Comment

Working...
                              X