1995 225 TXRT Hard to start cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 225 TXRT Hard to start cold

Ok, I've recently purchased a boat that had been sitting for at least 10 years. When I got the boat/ engine home I removed the spark plugs and sprayed WD40 into the cylinders and then through the carbs. I waited about 30 minutes and then went and opened the throttle up all the way and checked the compression which happened to be 110-112 on all cylinders. At this point I proceeded to order a water pump kit, carb kits and replaced the fuel lines. I did the work myself. Now, after this work I could ONLY get it to start initially with starter fluid (I've already heard the horrors of ether) and have spray bottle of 50:1 premix (that I now use). So my question is: since there is no choke solenoid what "primes" or helps start a cold 2-stroke like this? What can I check to fix this problem. BTW: it runs good after it's started and starts right up when it's warm....

Also, my gauges aren't working....is there a simple way to test these? I've re-wired the electrical (not touching anything engine- control related) and the gauge lights do work.
    Last edited by newellchunker; 04-12-2015, 09:29 AM.

the 225TXRT is a prime start model.
    the cold enrichment,and other fuel trim, is accomplished via the six enrichment solinoids and the electric enrichment pump.
    pump should run anytime the key is on.
    if it does not don't run it.

if you had the solinoids off did you replace the orings?

it does have a manual enrichment valve.

but the ECU controls the solinoids based on signals from the TPS,CTS and the knock sensor.

Comment

Yes sir I replaced the o- rings and the washers for them.

Comment

Ok, I think that I found the correct part and I googled it and found this topic that was posted 6 yrs or so ago:

I take it this is the problem that I'm having...

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...ed-th9469.html

Comment

Replaced the primer pump today and just about as soon as I touched the key she fired right up!

Comment

geter done mate

Yee Haa,,, good for you !!

Comment

Working...
            X