No announcement yet.

Another stuck lower casing cap 1999 F50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO, the powers that be don't want you to know that you can buy a complete new lwr unit with 3 yr no fault no questions asked for replacement for $975. I have had no issue or need to warrenty any of them. I think I'm up to about 20 R&R now... Life is very strange. I sea guys kill themself trying to deal with a old beat up lwr unit. When you can get a complete new one $975 plus freight..... This blog is biased to sell yamaha parts only

Comment

well this is hosted by a Yamaha parts business.
      and I have heard of more than a few failures of the aftermarket knock offs.
      but that has been awhile ago.

if someone can fix one themselves for less that $1K it is a win win.
      we gain experience turning wrenches

If someone does not have the mechanical ability to do it themselves,
      then an after market unit would be less money than paying a tech to repair it, depending on what is wrong with it..
      or just find a different motor

Comment

Yammy 99, Thank you for a gentlemen's reply. BTW I done mercury, mercruisers, johnson/Rude's, cobra, and yamys with no issues at all. Boils down that you guys are not to know about other optains

Comment

I couldn't care less if he bought a rebuilt unit or tried to fix it himself.. Nothing out of my pocket...
          A good learning experience for him (and potentially others)..

Doing and succeeding doing repairs/maintenance yourself is quite rewarding. As noted, if he had to pay a shop, it may not have been worth it...

I've had to re- do / clean up work a MT has done to my engine in the past. Some past mechanic's were ok, many, not so much.
          Why pay a "Pro" to change out my F150 balancer when I can do it myself (and did so, type 4), but I used a torque wrench where the mechanic installing a type 3 DID NOT (as I watched), WTF??.. Yep, lemme pay top dollar from a "Pro"...

When a shop wants $400 for a WP service I can do myself (and correctly) for $60, guess what I'm doing....Done many...And I know it's been done correctly, not with sealer slopped all about

A good part of it is NOT brain surgery.

IE, Type 4 balancer I installed while still on my lift:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-12-2021, 11:18 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have always enjoyed working on things myself,
            it does help when I get to things I am not familiar with to have someone else guide/help me a little.

I do miss Rodbolt posting here and other forums at times
            Last edited by 99yam40; 01-12-2021, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              it does help when I get to things I am not familiar with to have someone else guide/help me a little.

Yep, old Rodbolt was always for a good strong opinion......and usually he was right!....guess he's enjoying his retirement somewhere???

Comment

Sir Townsend, I'd say at least 90 something wanna be pro's (used very loosely) are yahoo's. In this biz you MUST study,study and ck service bullitones (TSB) you have a good head on your shoulder and I complament you..BTW all marine gaskets don't need any added chems, sealer's. They are impregnated from the mfg. I don't own any RTV (room temp vulcanising) or a roll of electrical tape.. there are very few master's in this biz. All are dieing or quitting. BTW , what's a torque wrench..I do love showing off my 1/4 drive Snap on inch lb torque wrench.dont get to use it much. Buts it's a true sweety....

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                  Sir Townsend, I'd say at least 90 something wanna be pro's (used very loosely) are yahoo's. In this biz you MUST study,study and ck service bullitones (TSB) you have a good head on your shoulder and I complament you..BTW all marine gaskets don't need any added chems, sealer's. They are impregnated from the mfg. I don't own any RTV (room temp vulcanising) or a roll of electrical tape.. there are very few master's in this biz. All are dieing or quitting. BTW ,..I do love showing off my 1/4 drive Snap on inch lb torque wrench.dont get to use it much. Buts it's a true sweety....
                  I'll "play" some with you but, I have to spell correctly, use comma's, basic English!! (Habit of 25 + years of writing official reports/investigations/etc).

Ok, tell that to my 3 COMMERCIAL (business) customers and my regulars...One commercial customers IS a mechanic who brings me his "Hilti concrete (high end concrete saw) for me to repair(construction company). Actually, he's picking it up this am..

I don't advertise as I can't keep up with machines coming in as it is..

I never mentioned anything about gaskets / sealers. Sooo ??

And no, I don't want to be a "Pro" or work for anyone/ nor report to anyone. (Not anymore). I have been offered a job TEACHING small engine repair (students) but turned that down.

Never been to any school for wrenching (45 years), just hands on ("back-yardian" but in the garage).And I work on anything with a spark plug (don't do diesels). BTW, the only Snap on tool I have IS a 1/4" drive torque wrench.

"Anything" as in mowers(riders/etc), small yard equipment, generators, large and small, chain saw's (all models-Stihl's, Echo's, Husky's, etc), concrete saw's (Hilti, Partner, Mitsubishi, etc), Vermeer stump grinders, etc Limited outboard engines and inboard engines as well. You get the idea.

I won't mention any machine work with my lathe, or welding gas, brazing, MIG, ARC, no TIG...

*And respectfully, you might want to turn on the spell check on the computer, read up on the use of comma's, paragraphs, etc.
                  It'd make your posts considerably easier to read and folks take you more seriously. Someone that can't write correctly, shows their level of education.

Back to the thread.
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-14-2021, 09:42 AM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The total cost for rebuilding my (non-beat up!) lower unit was right at $500.00. I replaced anything questionable and did not skimp.. This includes a new lower casing and a new propeller shaft. As needed, I replaced 2 of the five bearings, not to mention all the gaskets, anodes, seals etc. I prefer and enjoy doing my own work.

Keithbaja, please show me where I could have bought a factory new, OEM, complete lower unit, P/N 62Y-45300-11-4D, for $ 975.00, which, even if possible, would be reasonable, but would have more than doubled my cost and been a deal breaker.

Most, but not all of the parts I bought:

Bnet.JPG

Bnet2.JPG

Last edited by ChuckB1954; 01-16-2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Nooooooooo!!!

I have enjoyed Rodbolt's no nonsense expert advice for many years. Did he retire or just get fed up answering the same questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tunachaser View Post

Nooooooooo!!!

I have enjoyed Rodbolt's no nonsense expert advice for many years. Did he retire or just get fed up answering the same questions?

he talked some about retiring, but we really do not know.

Comment

Chuck b, I will attempt to not be a **** like I was for a while Doc had me on some bad mojo meds. And to all, I'm sorry. OK, I hope I Don't regret letting the cat out of the box.they are called SEI out of florida
                          I've never hade nothing but good luck with their products. It does take some looking around the website to find the yammys. Good job on fixing your LU. Capt K

Last edited by Keithbaja; 01-21-2021, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Also I'n the next few weeks I get my first pair of readers. Can't wait to sea all the small things in life again..Sir Townsend, this $20 POS cell phone dosnt have spell check, taken to the cell store many times with no luck.

Comment

These $10 walmart glasses suck !!! They are "Stern drive engineering" and SEI
                              Last edited by Keithbaja; 01-21-2021, 03:02 AM. Reason: Can't sea crap

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                                These $10 walmart glasses suck !!! They are "Stern drive engineering" and SEI

Thanks for the Info. I will check it out.

I go to the dollar store and buy about 10 pairs at a time.. all lost or broken within a short time. I get different strengths for normal or close up work.

EDIT.........................

I checked it out. I had been to that site in the past. They don't have my year/model 1999 F50TLRX.. (62Y-45300-11-4D) OR maybe I didn't look in the right place. Not that I need one (hopefully anyway..). I just finished replacing the four cylinder anodes and some other things after finishing the lower unit. . I haven't taken it out yet for a test.

I got to those anodes just in time.. I was barley able to pull all of them out.

20210109_130153S.JPG
                                Last edited by ChuckB1954; 01-21-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X