QRF code on a used 200 OX66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QRF code on a used 200 OX66

Went to look a used motor yesterday , guy had it advertised as 1994 OX66 , I told him I think somebody had changed the brackets , as I started looking it over , it became clear the motor is pieced together from multiple motors , mid section and lower have clearly been poorly spray painted ,the cowling was off a 150 with 200 stickers on it the power head it self looked and ran good , I noticed a QRF code on the block near the oil pump , took pictures of the pistons with a bore scope and they are stock size , anybody heard of a rebuilder that puts QRF stickers on their rebuilds ?

I am going to pass on the motor unless he basically gives it away , he said hes never had it in salt water , I pulled the thermostats and it looks like its a fresh water motor but the lower and mid sections have galvanic pitting , starboard side head bolts had witness marks on them and the head gasket was a different color that the port side

never heard of that before, can you get any hit on that code online?
    did he say where he got it from and when, or why he is getting rid of it?

I would pass also, too many unknowns

Comment

Always worth knowing what you got: an old motor with new parts, or a new motor with old parts?

I suppose legally the motor is the serial number on the clamp; it is not on the powerhead or on any other substantial part of the engine. So it is what it is no matter what bits including the powerhead that have been changed.
      Seems to me the power head was changed, then parts of the leg for three possible reasons. Someone wanted to change the length, the gearbox failed, or it was actually physically damaged.
      What is it that is said? Only buy if it is worth more than the sum of it’s parts!

Comment

i couldnt pull any data off that sticker , im gonna pass on the motor unless he drops the price to 750

Comment

owner is clueless . hes sunk 25 grand into a76 mako

Comment

Just a heads up... galvanic pitting can happen in fresh water, too. It all depends on the "quality" of the fresh water. 'Course, those parts could have came from a motor used in salt - but then, if it's in good shape... it's in good shape, you know? The pitting on the lower (first pic) does like relatively minor, though.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X