Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 ox66 sx200 won’t start

ember
    Last ran the motor about 2 months ago, ran fine. Yesterday connected flush muff and motor cranks but won’t fire. I can hear/feel the main relay clicking at key on, I do not hear or feel high pressure pump turning on. 80/30 amp fuses are good. Unplugged the high pressure fuel pump leads and checked for voltage with key on, got 11.8v. Pulled all 6 spark plugs and did not smell any gas. Thinking
    maybe fuel pump stuck or bad. Is there any harm in jumping it with 12 volts? Suggestions?

I would look for why the voltage is that low.
    where did you put the meter leads?
    ECU should complete the negative to make the pump run

jumping to 12 v battery should not hurt it

Comment

I disconnected the hp fuel pump and checked voltage on the leads with the key on and off.

Comment

I'd charge and LOAD test that battery. Voltage is way too low. Cranking voltage is probably dropping considerably.

Jumping will likely help (with a good connection). If not, hook up a known, good battery.

Just curious, how old is the current (Pun intended) battery?

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The battery is new, likely run down some from cranking. What I meant by jumping is to disconnect the fuel pump and apply 12 volts directly to the pump terminals, which I did yesterday and found that the pump does not run. Guess I will pull the pump and see what condition it’s in. Maybe just stuck. I’ve read you can soak in carb cleaner and try to reverse polarity. Strange it started and ran just fine 2 month ago, the motor only had 152 hours.

Comment

any water in the VST and there will be rust involved

Comment

Haven’t drained the VST yet, hoping to start pulling it apart this weekend.

anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket pump?
              Last edited by tshank; 12-15-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Removed the VST, pulled the pump out and soaked it in carb cleaner over night, direct connected the pump to 12v and the pump now runs. Don’t trust it though.

one think that bothers me is when I drained the VST tank the gas came out amber colored, not blueish from the oil mix. I pulled the oil lines from the check valve and removed the valve as well. There was oil in the hose that connects to the bottom of the check valve but none in the hose that connect to the top of the VST could the check valve be bad? Any test? Can’t blow thru it. I did use about 15 psi of air from compressor and the valve mad a slight squeal sound.

Comment

May sound stupid but do you have the safety cord plugged in at the key switch. if not it will not fire also that switch can be defective. It happened to us in Alaska15 miles out and I started playing with the tab sticking out for the cord connection and that was the problem. We made it in because of it.

Comment

It is definitely the fuel pump, locked up. Searching for an aftermarket pump.

Comment

Originally posted by tshank View Post
                      It is definitely the fuel pump, locked up. Searching for an aftermarket pump.
                      Might try this place (they make pumps for certain Yamaha motorcycles with good reviews):

https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1323...oards-efi.html

I'm not sure if this is the exact pump you need, may have to call them...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-20-2020, 10:53 PM.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Sierra and Mallory make pumps. A while back, I was looking for a replacement HP pump - just curious about it at the time - but I'm pretty sure I came across a Merc pump that looked like it was the same thing... still not cheap, but a few hundred less than the Yamaha pump.
                        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Might try this place (they make pumps for certain Yamaha motorcycles with good reviews):

https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1323...oards-efi.html

I'm not sure if this is the exact pump you need, may have to call them...

I have contacted them, they requested pictures of the removed pump which I sent them a few days ago, haven’t heard back.

Comment

Working...
                          X