Tach install on 93 C40PLRR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach install on 93 C40PLRR

Well...It;s time to see what prop this little monster wants...Got a Faria 7000 RPM universal ...the leads are hooked up..its in the dash....Connected to the original harness ....It comes on when I turn the key...Then just slowly rotates all the way back to zero....Im hooked up to the green wire coming out of the harness( thinking that's the signal wire)....How did I screw up 3 wires....And before anyone says, because your an electrical retard....I'll beat you to it....LMAO.....Any thoughts guys or gals???

what is the tach set for?
    and is the motor running?
    or just turned the key to on?

Comment

Green is the tachometer signal wire. Lots of connections on the motor. I would start there. Go all the way to the lighting coil if necessary.

screenshot captor

Comment

Hi 99....according to farias cheat sheet...its set on 4....and yes the motor was running....

Comment

cool..thanks once again boscoe....I was hoping to just plug in under the dash an rock...but...thats not how my thing goes with electricity...lmao...unreal...Ill just run a wire back to the motor & tap in where it comes out from under the flywheel...unless I have to be in front of a rectifier or something ???.....Have I mentioned..I HATE wiring....lol

Comment

Originally posted by sea-nile View Post
            Hi 99....according to farias cheat sheet...its set on 4....and yes the motor was running....
            well being I do not have that cheat sheet, what does #4 represent on that sheet?
            You might try switching it back and forth a few times to make sure the internal connections on that switch is making good

what con*****er do you have ?
            703?
            I am guessing you hooked up to the green, red, and black that comes out of the con*****er.

I am thinking Boscoe was saying to check the wiring to make sure there is good continuity all of the way from where you hooked up ,to the motor
            Last edited by 99yam40; 12-11-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

That is exactly what Boscoe was trying to say. Did not say it very well obviously.

Comment

99yam.....I have the 6 x3 side mount con*****er... the motor came with the 703 con*****er....from what faria says.. 4 represents the # of poles..(c25-c55) 2 cyls..1984 to present...And no boscoe...I understood exactly what you were saying with that diagram....those green wires were ALL i was concerned with...ie..(check ALL connections & make sure you were getting juice)..and yes...I had it hooked to the green red & black..and just to be sure I then disconnected & jumperd it to the hot & ground direct to the battery..just to make sure....I will disconnect all green connections & wire brush them just to make sure Im clean..
                Last edited by sea-nile; 12-13-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I thought they were 6 pole , but then I thought that motor was a 3 cylinder

Comment

99yam...yea ..I bought it thinking the same thing...got it home & discover .its a 2 banger...i was all pissed off..until I found out it was the motor the Hobie sent them out with...I have the 13.3 utility skiff...i was sweatin about hangin 200lb 3 cyl on the back of it..as I bought it with a 25 evinrude..(120lbs) and sat perfect in the water...with just me ..it worked out sweet...but 2 guys & it just wasnt strong enuff..this yamaha is 140ish I believe..and its a BEAR....

Comment

Comment

the parts break down shows the C40PLRR has 2 cylinders and 2 carbs,
                        but looks like all of the other 1993 40s have 3

Comment

I am failing to make a connection between the number of cylinders and the number of poles. What am I missing?

Comment

I am not sure myself, but even that chart you posted has 4 pole on 2 cylinder motors and 6 pole on 3 cylinder motors.
                            Since the tach runs off of the charging system ,maybe the lighting coils are different on the 2 and 3 cylinder motors

Comment

I am seeing conflicting Yamaha data. Nothing unusual about that.

OP can try both the 4 pole and the 6 pole settings. See what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X