Replace neutral switches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace neutral switches?

I have developed some intermittent problems with the neutral switch is on my 2005 200 hPDI's. I found the part available on Amazon for about $80 apiece. I am not skilled wrench Turner and would place my skill level at beginner. Is replacing the switches something a beginner can attempt? I have been looking on YouTube for video on changing the switch but haven't been able to find any specific for the Yamaha brand? How long should it take a certified Yamaha mechanic change 2 switches?

Originally posted by DannyMart View Post
    . I am not skilled wrench Turner and would place my skill level at beginner.
    Then perhaps you should not be so certain of your diagnostic skills.

Simultaneous failures with two separate parts is unlikely;

what exactly is the problem / symptoms?

Comment

I had the typical inability to reach full power on one of the engines 40 miles offshore, but was able to get to full power after turning the engine off and restarting. The YDS program has identified neutral switch error codes on both engines. After owning these twin engines for 15 years I have had enough of changing part a in the starboard engine and seeing the identical part go bad in a few months on the port engine. In the majority of cases now if I have to change a part on one engine, I change the part on the other engine prophylactically.
      Last edited by DannyMart; 12-05-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

By Neutral switch, you mean the Neutral start interlock? This circuit simply interrupts the engine starter circuit and would have no effect after the engines have been started.

Apologies if you mean something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Bateau_CX19 View Post
          By Neutral switch, you mean the Neutral start interlock? This circuit simply interrupts the engine starter circuit and would have no effect after the engines have been started.

Apologies if you mean something else.

Here's one of the error codes form the YDS program.
          28 Shift position switch

Comment

someone with the proper knowledge on those bigger motors will need to chime in on this,
            but I am thinking that code 28 could come in due to trying to start the motor while in gear and / or shift cut switch not operating properly to help get motor out of gear

Comment

Working...
            X