What is this strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this strange noise

I have a 2003 yamaha vmax hpdi 200. The engine starts and runs great but has been making the noise present in the first video linked below for several months now. It only makes the noise when in gear, and goes away at higher rpms, and the engines performance has remained consistent throughout the year. The noise in the video is about as loud as it will get, but on occasions it is quieter. The second video linked below shows the engine at neutral idle, and the noise is not present. I know this type of engine only idles on 4 of 6 cylinders when in neutral, not sure if that has anything to do with the noise. My first thought was that it was some sort of internal engine noise, but I'm really hoping that's not the case. Any ideas on what it could be?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1sh-buqh4uo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVrYuYk4kiQ

Are u running at correct temp. And are you running in really cold water ? The crank/rod bearing can make that noise. Long idleing, aka,*****ing isn't a 2strokers friend. I'm trying to recall the term for that. Grrrr, brain fart. It will after many, many, many hrs scuff the crank journal. No worry, give it has !!

Comment

That was in 39 degree water, about 30 seconds after the engine started. But it will make that noise regardless of engine or water temp

Comment

Sounds fairly normal to me....maybe a little prop rattle?....2 stroke motors are known to make all kinds of rattling noises....

Comment

One of those noises that you need to be there in the flesh.

Comment

Some Heavy SS props will make noise at low RPM

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Sounds fairly normal to me....maybe a little prop rattle?....2 stroke motors are known to make all kinds of rattling noises....
              My 2stroke takes offense to that
              Jason
              1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Maybe remove top cowling and poke around in there for maybe a loose component, cable, connector or other?

Comment

Working...
                X