1990 85hp vs 90hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 85hp vs 90hp

Why is the non-oil injection commercial motor rated 5hp less?

I am not sure anyone except a Yamaha engineer can answer that question.
    maybe that is what it dynoed out at when running a straight 50-1 oil mix

Comment

I would think it would make a little more power without having to turn an oil pump not less. And both run at 50-1 at WOT......

There was a commercial 115 that was same hp.......

Comment

C does not not denote commercial. If it stands for anything it stands for Cheaper.

Are you comparing a 1990 CV85ETLD to a 1990 90ETLD? CV stood for Customer Value. Not using oil injection it was cheaper to produce and sell. I think they simply dropped the V along the way.

Different block, different CDI assembly, different carburetors, etc., it would stand to reason that the HP output is not the same.

Comment

Oh OK, I thought it was just a 90 w/o oil injection.

Comment

The CV model also came standard with an alloy prop instead of stainless, and most did not have a trim switch on the motor as well as the throttle, it was just an attempt to offer a cheap motor by cutting all the "frills" off the 90.

Comment

And perhaps the market that was aimed at, 85 might have been a particular limit that many boats may have had. Certainly of old there was 60, 85, 100 as standards.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
                The CV model also came standard with an alloy prop instead of stainless, and most did not have a trim switch on the motor as well as the throttle, it was just an attempt to offer a cheap motor by cutting all the "frills" off the 90.
                I did not think any motor came with a prop.
                depends on what boat you put the motor on as to which prop was needed for the motor to run at proper RPM at WOT

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I did not think any motor came with a prop.
                  depends on what boat you put the motor on as to which prop was needed for the motor to run at proper RPM at WOT
                  In Australia motors used to come with “standard” props. Yam 90 was 17 inch, Yam 115 was 19 inch and larger v6 came with 21 inch. Perhaps because the choice of boat types here was more limited and convention.
                  But it also made sense to come with a prop, because one needs to start somewhere, and I guess if the motor/boat combination was a bit “unusual” there might have been dealers that swapped the prop at point of sale. Sadly otherwise the boat owner had to fathom it out themselves after purchase at their own additional cost.

Comment

Working...
                  X