Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel connector for Yamaha P165 8HP 2-stroke 1971/2

Hi.

I have this old Yam P165 outboard which is in superb condition having only been used by the previous owner for a short time over one season. I understand it's essentially identical to the Mariner 8A which came after it.

Anyhoo, I am looking for a fuel connector to suit. I have attached a photo of the male connector on the engine, but am struggling to find the matching hose end fitting here in the UK. Unless... it happens to be similar to that used on other makes such as Suzuki or even Tohatsu - they certainly look pretty similar!

For example, the Quicksilver F197787Q3 is stated as being for 'Suzuki' but is also 11mm - does it fit?

Then there's the almost identically numbered Mercury-Mercruiser F197787T3 , but I cannot find out what size it is - and it's hard to find in this country anyway.

Finally there's Tohatsu connectors which look identical, but I cannot find sizes for them to confirm; https://www.google.com/search?q=Toha...w=1920&bih=937

Can anyone help, please?

I don't think I can directly answer your question, however... can you just scrap that connector all together and get a new male/female set? The only thing that would matter is how that connector actually attaches the engine. The engine, itself, doesn't care what the "quick connect" part looks like, you know? Just a thought!

How does that fitting attach the engine? It looks like it might screw onto a pipe nipple? But, can you go further back and just extend a hose from a barb fitting? Then you could do whatever you wanted. For example, I did that with a old Merc 9.8HP - I then used Attwood's dripless fuel connector.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Many thanks, Dennis.

Absolutely that is the alternative and shouldn't be difficult to do - pairs of similar couplings are easily available, and good chance they could be made to fit easily.

Yes, the male part shown in the pic is just held by a nut on the inside, and the fuel hose to the carb pushes on to a barb inside.

I was just intrigued by the similarity - in shape and 11mm diameter - of the Suzuki version, and wondered 'if'... It would certainly save me a bit of hassle :-)

I've since found the original part number of the Yam hose connector - it's 644-24305-50. The good news is that they are still available from a few foreign sources, the bad news being they are typically asking between £65 and £100 for them plus postage...!

The Yam P165 is absolutely original, so I think I'll hold out for a bit longer to see if I can get the Yam part, but will do as you suggest if not.

Cheers :-)

Comment

Back in the day when I used separate fuel tanks I would use the push and twist Merc fittings. I could’nt stand the push and side tab lock that Yam and Evinrude etc used to use because they often released.
        The “air hose” type connection that you got would also be OK as it also would be easier to use because it is symmetric, but nothing beat the Merc fitting for ease of single handed use and positive lock in.
        Last edited by zenoahphobic; 11-28-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks Zenoah. Yes, I recall these - cast Ali-alloy or similar?

Just trying to make this wee job as simple as possible, and avoid having to replace both ends. Everything I read seems to suggest that the 11mm coupling used by Suzuki is effectively the same, but just can't get that last little bit of confirmation!

I'm sure someone somewhere will know :-)

Comment

Working...
          X