2005 Yamaha F225TXRD Water on spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha F225TXRD Water on spark plug

Good Evening, I have a 2005 Yamaha F225TXRD it started running ruff so I pulled the spark plugs to find water in the cylinder heads on the starboard side (bottom two cylinders). We replaced the head gasket but that didn't fix the issue. When performing leak down test on cold motor at 90psi it is holding 85psi with a slight leak. We traced the leak to fid air coming out of the breather pipe that comes out the top of the head cover. I know these motors have a corrosion issue, is this a symptom? I cant seem to find it on the typical list of symptom. Thanks for any input.

What area in the parts diagram is the air coming from? Part area #32?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...nder-head-assy

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-17-2020, 08:41 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

No, this is coming out of the intake breather pipes parts 25-27.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...5txrd/intake-1

Comment

Originally posted by Rkiddey1097 View Post
        No, this is coming out of the intake breather pipes parts 25-27.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...5txrd/intake-1
        That breather hose simply vents the crankcase into the air intake to burn off (not let get into the atmosphere).

Both cylinder leak down about the same?

What are the other cylinders showing?

Any water in the crankcase?

Did you inspect that head closely (near those two cylinders) closely for any cracks? (Sucking water into the combustion chamber)

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

That breather hose simply vents the crankcase into the air intake to burn off (not let get into the atmosphere).

Both cylinder leak down about the same?

What are the other cylinders showing?

Any water in the crankcase?

Did you inspect that head closely (near those two cylinders) closely for any cracks? (Sucking water into the combustion chamber)

Each cylinder was tested at 90psi. both cylinders were within 1 psi of each other. When the head gasket was replaced it was inspected and nothing found. Seems like it needs to be inspected again, but hesitant to have to replaced the head gasket again. Other cylinders show above 86psi for a 4 psi lost max. The old milky oil was changed during head gasket replacement. Motor was only ran for less than 5 mins since and has evidence of water in oil again.
          Last edited by Rkiddey1097; 11-17-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Each cylinder was tested at 90psi. both cylinders were within 1 psi of each other. When the head gasket was replaced it was inspected and nothing found. Seems like it needs to be inspected again, but hesitant to have to replaced the head gasket again. Other cylinders show above 86psi for a 4 psi lost max.

The old milky oil was changed during head gasket replacement. Motor was only ran for less than 5 mins since and has evidence of water in oil again.
            That's, bolded ^^, is IMPORTANT and not noted earlier.

How many hours on the engine, salt water use, how much corrosion under the thermostats and in the water jacket when the head was off?

Scott

Comment

Sorry that I left that out. There was minimal rust when the thermostats were replaced. Very little corrosion inside when the head was pulled.

It is a salt water motor as I’m on the west coast of Florida, flushed every trip. Hours are 660.

Comment

Someone else is going to have to chime in, I'm at a loss.

Water in the combustion chamber is one thing(possibly bad head gasket, ?)

That much water in the crankcase, that quickly, I suspect a corroded a hole in the block/head somewhere..

Both at the same time(probably) probably related/same issue I'd think...

Scott

Comment

Motor was only ran for less than 5 mins since and has evidence of water in oil again.
                  Not much run time, (and may not be able to tell,) but did the two cylinders (combustion chambers) still show water intrusion?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Not much run time, (and may not be able to tell,) but did the two cylinders (combustion chambers) still show water intrusion?

Yes, water was present on spark plugs when pulled and running rough after head gasket was replaced

Comment

WELL, as always here... I'm late to the ball ****.. have you tryed a high-speed shut-down ?? I don't know if it's out there on the web or not.. run motor near WOT, then turn the key off.. inspect,, (right Then) ya I could write a book about dealing with outboards on the water.. lost many nice tools to that guy "Davey"

Comment

Working...
                      X