Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine counter engine

Hello everybody,

I have problem with my twin Yamaha 200AET, I decide to convert one of them to counter rotation and I search for counter lower unit and never found one but yesterday when I check the model of my engine I saw that one is 200AET and the other one is L200AET which mean it's already counter but I don't know if the lower unit was replaced by clockwise(STD) because the previous owner who I buy the boat from him always keep it with the mechanic without knowing what mechanic do in his boat so, may be the one who work on it replaced it with STD and take the Counter one for his shop or to another customer who want counter lower unit.Now,I want to determine if t's Counter or STD without attached it to the engine because I already have both of them in my home.

Both ENGINES turn / run in the same direction, period.

The difference (model #) would be the LU which it came with from the factory..

For your duel set up, does one prop turn in one direction (in forward gear) and the other engine the OTHER DIRECTION (also in forward gear)?

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

What is the engine ID? Begins with the number 6.

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
        Both ENGINES turn / run in the same direction, period.

The difference (model #) would be the LU which it came with from the factory..

For your duel set up, does one prop turn in one direction (in forward gear) and the other engine the OTHER DIRECTION (also in forward gear)?

I don't know because I remove the lower unit and I keep it at home and I didn't run the engine for more the 7 months. So, I can't simply assemble it and run it to see where the direction it rotate.
        Is there method or mark to know if it counter or not without run it ?

Yes boscoe99 this engine is 1988 AET200(6G6)

Comment

On some lower units of that vintage the letter "L" is stamped on the gear case. That is where I would start looking.

Of course you can always turn the drive shaft in the clock wise direction and see in what direction the propeller shaft turns. Lower unit in forward gear.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            On some lower units of that vintage the letter "L" is stamped on the gear case. That is where I would start looking.

Of course you can always turn the drive shaft in the clock wise direction and see in what direction the propeller shaft turns. Lower unit in forward gear.

Do you know where is the location of the stamp on lower unit ? How can I know if the Lower unit in forward gear when it's outside I mean is there method to know in which position it's?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha_9991 View Post

Do you know where is the location of the stamp on lower unit ? How can I know if the Lower unit in forward gear when it's outside I mean is there method to know in which position it's?

thank you

The part circled in blue below is the LU shift shaft. As I don't the direction of the (CC or CCW for the shifter stub), read below.

Have someone shift the helm control into forward while watching the direction of the coupler(other part that slips into the LU shifter) at the lower part of the mid section.
              Now you know what direction to shift the LU to find forward.

Shift the LU shifter (don't damage the splines) in the same direction have to rotate the driveshaft CLOCKWISE -looking down at it) and that should let you know whether is a reg or counter rotation LU.

*This is the closest model I could find to yours as your motor is likely not in the US

Capture.JPG
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

why not do as Boscoe said and turn the drive shaft clock wise on both lower units and pay attention to which direction the prop shaft moves?

if you turn both the same way then you can see if one is different from the other
                Last edited by 99yam40; 11-15-2020, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  why not do as Boscoe said and turn the drive shaft clock wise on both lower units and pay attention to which direction the prop shaft moves?

if you turn both the same way then you can see if one is different from the other

Because I don't know if the lower unit gear in forward or not .

thank you TownsendsFJR1300 and boscoe99 I will check it now

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha_9991 View Post

Because I don't know if the lower unit gear in forward or not .

thank you TownsendsFJR1300 and boscoe99 I will check it now
                    Then shift it into forward gear. Use some channel lock type pliers, padded of course, on the shift shaft. Rotate the shift shaft about 45 degrees in the clock wise direction.

Comment

well that was what I meant by saying turn both in the same direction, I was talking about the shift shaft.
                      as long as the unit was in neutral to start out with,
                      but now realize it could have meant the drive shaft
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 11-16-2020, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Today, I shift the gear in forward and what is happen when I turn the driveshaft in clockwise the propeller shaft turns clockwise when I looking from behind it and this happen for both lower case.

But, I have a question about the lower unit case is there any difference between the counter lower unit case and the regular (STD) one because where I live they sale used empty lower unit case, drive shaft, bearing housing...etc.

So, can I buy regular one lower unit case and fit inside it counter gears ?

thanks for all

Comment

Ummmm. Almost all lwr gearcase are the same. For Counter rotation 1 is in forward and the other is in 'reverse" with a different prop.. very, very simple concept

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

On Mine there is an "L" stamped on the lower near the plug that covers the trim tab / zinc anode

Comment

Working...
                            X