Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Yamaha 200 4-stroke steering issue

Hi, new to the forum and boats

I have an issue with the steering and being given the run-around from my "mechanic". Steering the engine to the right works nice and smoothly but when turning left it is pretty difficult. The mechanic said the engine is too heavy for the boat and it needs to have a hydraulic system put on, so he did and still the same issue. The issue has to be on the mount or some kind of bearing on the engine....any ideas greatly appreciated.

Just difficult WHILE UNDERWAY or is it also hard to turn just sitting on the trailer?

If hard all the time, I'd disconnect the engine from the steering just manually push the engine from side to side checking for binding..

Just curious, what does your mechanic have to say since he swayed you into it but it/something is not working correctly since?
    I think I'd be finding another "mechanic" ....

**For my CABLE steering, having the trim tab, part #15, installed in the below
    position (pic from shop manual) is CRITICAL
    . 150HP, is about the largest you can go with cable steering.

When I re-powered, the "mechanic" had it STRAIGHT. The boat wanted to make right turns only and to keep it straight
    was about impossible with VERY HEAVY input to the steering wheel..

(They obviously didn't water test it)

I re-set it correctly and now turns about the same in each direction and when trimmed (engine tilted /trimmed out properly), goes straight as an arrow with NO input..

Check the position of yours and advise. Mine (went by the manual) is ONE notch as shown below...

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-11-2020, 05:51 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hey Scott

Thanks so much for your post. I'm sure the steering is fine when the boat is out of the water, I will test it tomorrow and get back to you. Regarding the mechanic, I haven't paid him anything as he hasn't fixed the issue....

Comment

If it's dead center, make sure it's adjusted in THAT SPECIFIC direction.

Take note of the REAR and the markings (IE, you don't adjust it the wrong directions).

You can always adjust more (if not adjusted properly), but the one "notch" offset for me was good...

It's basically to offset the torque of the engine.

If you have an owners manual, I believe it may be in there as well...

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott

Thank you again for your reply - we played with the trim tab and found it helped almost fix the issue 90% which is good for now....although it is maxed out to one side. Thank you!

Comment

Trim the motor up some more while on plane and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Trim the motor up some more while on plane and see what happens.
              +1 ^^ as well.

Trimmed properly with an engine that likes to pull to the right makes all the difference in the world.

You should be able to go "hands free" once trimmed correctly.

Scott

Comment

Also , is the motor mounted to the proper height?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  Also , is the motor mounted to the proper height?
                  Hardly ever the correct height....

Comment

Working...
                  X