2008 F225 Tach Not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 F225 Tach Not working

Digital tach (6Y5) stopped working recently. Had replaced the rigging tube and after reassembly I noticed the tach stopped working. I can’t say for certain if it was working previously, but odds are something happened when I removed the cables from the engine. Verified all the connectors, no corrosion, pins look to be intact, wires look ok as far as I can tell...

So far, I’ve traced the green wire from the gauge all the way back to the ECU and get continuity (with everything plugged in except the gauge and the ECU. I also tested the green wire in each harness for continuity just for fun.

Gauge lights up, does the self test and seems to work otherwise. Tilt/trim sensor hasn’t worked for a while so I can’t validate that.

On my NMEA 2000 network I see the engine RPM so I know the ECU at least knows what it is...

After that, thought maybe a bad gauge so I ordered one of those and tested and no luck/change.

I also did a diagnostic with YDS and did notice that my engine hours according to the ECU are around 183 yet hour meter on the gauge shows 180.

In any case, not sure where to go from here. If I measure the green wire with my multimeter on AC with the other half to ground I get what looks like some fluctuations there while the engine is running, but I can’t tell if that means anything or not.

So... now what?

I should also mention that YDS showed no codes.

Comment

Comment

I saw this thread on THT: https://www.thehulltruth.com/13584864-post5.html

I have a meter that measures Hz, I did try measuring the green wire off the harness and I don’t think i’m getting a reading... Also, not sure how much I trust this meter...

I connected one side to green and the other side to ground... I’m assuming that’s how it should work right? Tried also with the gauge plugged into green as well...

Comment

Working...
        X