1993 130hp loosing RPM to 4800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 130hp loosing RPM to 4800

I have a 1993 130hp. Took it out today and had a problem that I wanted some opinions on. About a month ago I took that boat out and it took a little while to get started. Once started it was not running very smooth. It was hesitating and surging some getting up on plane. It would open up to 5900 RPMs but still hesitate and surge some at all RPMs. It got better after running some so I figured it cleaned itself out and it was a dirty fuel issue. Ran probably 10 gallons out of it that day and had no other issues. Have not used till today. Started okay and idled fine. Got it up on plane and never got over about 3900 for at least 20 minutes or so. Ran and sounded good. Then began increasing RPMs and it started to surge again. It would go up to 51, then drop to 47, then go up and then drop again. After doing that for a few minutes it would not run over 4800. Ran steady with no missing or surging but would not advance over 4800 even when moved to WOT. I could pull it down to idle and get back on plane without having to get over 4000. No problem until i advanced throttle past that RPM. If I opened up throttle while running 4000 or got on it hard out of the hole the motor would go on up to 58 or 59 for a second or so but then would start hesitating until it went back down to 4800 and would stay there without missing, hesitating, or surging. Does this sound like a fuel issue? Will the motor even run 4800 and sound and feel good (at least to me) if it is only running on 3 cylinders?
    I was going to check the spark on plugs my next day off but it sounded like they were all firing at idle and under no load.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Greg

Running a sick motor to see if it will get better is a bad idea.
    Usually causes major problems.

Check compression to make sure you have not already hurt it.
    Check fuel condition could be bad gas/ water
    and fuel pressures to make sure they are good while problem shows up too

Comment

Hi. Did you find the problem. Mine is doing the same.

Comment

Working...
      X