Fuel Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Problem?

On my last trip my motor died on me, like it was out of gas. I pumped the ball up and it started right back up ran for a couple of minutes and did the same thing again. I bypassed the filter and got the same results. Any ideas on the source if the problem?

Fuel Problem

The motor is a F225

Comment

First thing to check is a blockage - fuel vent, a failing line (internal) itself, possibly the fitting at the tank. Also a failing primer bulb. Does the bulb get hard and stay hard - or did it go soft?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

If the motor can be made to run using the primer ball, but won't run if you stop using the primer ball, I would focus on the electric lift pump.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          If the motor can be made to run using the primer ball, but won't run if you stop using the primer ball, I would focus on the electric lift pump.
          How do you test the lift pump? On the trailer or under load?

Comment

ya wanna really know the easy way?
            simply watch the fuel filter cup.
            at speeds below 1200 RPM the lift pump cycles, 10 seconds on,20 seconds off.
            you can hear it or watch the liquid level change in the fuel filter cup.

Comment

And when you find out the pump is not running, don't run off and buy a new pump before first troubleshooting to make sure that the pump is getting positive power and a ground.

It will/should have 12 volts any time the key is on. The ground is switched closed to cause the pump to run.

You can always apply battery power and a ground directly to the pump to see if it operates.

Comment

Thank you Rodbolt17 and Boscoe99

Comment

Probably the fuel pump, connection on the tank as well as the engine is still oke?

Comment

Working...
                  X