Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you think my F250's will last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you think my F250's will last?

Just looking for opinions here...

I have twin F250's manufactured in July 2005.

I continue to be amazed with these engines. They have been trouble free for duration I owned them.
    I bought my Grady-White 330 Express ten years ago. F250's had 312 hours on them. Today, I just exceeded 2,100 hours.
    15 years pumping saltwater through them in a marine environment. All I can say is they are INCREDIBLE engines!

Here is my maintenance program over the past 10 years:

- Very rarely do I run them over 5,000 RPM's (<2%). I cruise at 4,400 RPM's (say 30% of hours) and it's 1K RPM's or idle after that (about 70%).

- Oil changed every 75 hours & Oil Filters changed every 150 hours (I do filters every other oil change - kinda hard and messy to do...).

- Fuel filters changed annually and I always add Ring Free at 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas.

- New Water Pumps every 300 hours (average). I run in clean, deep, ocean water (no sand or grit).

- VST's cleaned about every 1K hours and fuel injectors cleaned once in past 10 years.

- Timing belt changed at 1K hours. Not sure if I will do it again as the old belt looked perfect after removal.

- T-Stats cleaned or replaced every 300 hours.

- Freshwater flushed upon return to the dock (while engines still hot) for a minimum of 10 minutes per engine.

- Spark plugs replaced every 3 years.

- LU Gear Oil changed every 100 to 120 hours (gear oil always coming out clear)

- Boat is lift stored so engines are out of the water 95% of the time. I change zincs when needed (about every other year).

- 3 years ago, I had the Mid Section Manifolds removed and replaced as a precaution to the dreaded corrosion issue (no corrosion noted BTW).

- New Motor mounts and Power Trim seals replaced while the engines were off (above)

- I currently put about 300 hours per year on these engines.

So, now, I am at over 2,100 hours and counting.
    The mid sections are effectively "new" and everything else running perfect (hope I didn't just jinx myself!).
    These engines have effectively NO Market Value and I plan to use them until they experience a major failure.
    Kinda like driving a high mileage car... If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Given my maintenance program and 300 hours per year - How much longer do you think I can go until I need to re-power?

Curious as to your opinion. Thanks.

Last edited by HMBJack; 10-30-2020, 09:35 AM.
    Grady-White 330 Express

Guess you haven't seen old mercs and omc's unning since the last 60s in salt water
    Now their are the tuff motors

Comment

Working...
    X