Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Yamaha Pro 50 Choke Switch

Hello all,

I have a 1990 Yamaha Pro 50D 2 Stroke Outboard. I'm slowly learning as much as I can about my motor. I recently purchased a Multi Function Tiller and am in the process of converting the motor from Remote Steering to Tiller. In the process I'm trying to understand how the choke works on this motor. With the current setup, I use the switch on the control box for a cold start. Two questions:
    1. Am I correct in assuming the switch on the control box is activating the "Prime Start" Solenoid on this motor? I can't figure out how else the choke would work on this motor.
    2. Where was the choke switch located on motors setup with a tiller originally?

Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks in advance.

Hunter

As best that I can tell from looking at Yamaha data;

Your model does not appear to use a Primestart device. It has a solenoid valve that is activated by the choke switch.

To answer your question about the switch activating the solenoid, put a voltmeter on the blue wire to the solenoid. Have someone activate the choke switch. You should see voltage on the blue wire when the switch is pressed.

There was no P50 model that came from Yamaha with a tiller handle.

Other models appear to have a switch mounted in the lower cowling. Presumably when a momentary on button switch could be mounted to activate the choke.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe! That is enlightening! Can you provide any more info about the part or diagram showing the switch in the lower cowling? I'd like to track one down. Wondering if this would work:

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...caAo9VEALw_wcB

or possibly just removing the switch from the control box and mounting it to the cowling.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

In a number of tiller handle models the key switch is on the tiller handle. The key switch could be the press to choke kind.

Comment

Working...
        X