Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesnt start

Hi all,

We had a bit of a problem starting my neighbours yamaha 2005 150 2 stroke, we never had problems starting, untill we connected the headphones to flush the engine on land, we didnt use the flushconnector, we used the headphones, i think we flodded the entire engine before even trying to start it. Water was coming out everywhere, So its now at the yamaha repair centre and they coulnd find any problems whatsoever. Starts and run perfect.

Does anyone had this or is it something else?

Thanks for reading

robertkelly vanderaa

This is going to be REALLY tough to give a correct answer to. We can guess, but there's no way to say for sure. It could be as simple as having the kill switch in the wrong position.

What do you mean by "water was coming out everywhere". That is too vague to respond to the way it is.

For now, since it was checked out, chalk it up to user error and go boating.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I know, but still in the back our heads why she didnt start at all that day. The yamaha technician did all test and coulndt find any probl. That gardenhose we used had so much waterpressure that the water was coming out from exhaust, was just asking myself could water via the headphones reach the cylinders. We wont use the headphones anymore, usethe flushconnector in the future. Bit vague. checked all switches.

Comment

trust me, it had nothing to do with the flush,either muffs or the flush port.
        most likely your starting procedure was wrong.

Comment

Agreed, muffs had nothing to do with it.

Probably flooded it(if carbed).
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Robert - you should see water coming out of the exhaust.

Comment

uhh ??

Originally posted by Robertkelly View Post
              I know, but still in the back our heads why she didnt start at all that day. The yamaha technician did all test and coulndt find any probl. That gardenhose we used had so much waterpressure that the water was coming out from exhaust, was just asking myself could water via the headphones reach the cylinders. We wont use the headphones anymore, usethe flushconnector in the future. Bit vague. checked all switches.
              .........Do NOT run the motor using the flush connector !!! run only on the muffs..water running everywhere is fine...

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                .........Do NOT run the motor using the flush connector !!! run only on the muffs..water running everywhere is fine...
                My 2nd on this!.....just use the muffs and turn on the water!....the muffs/water is not what kept your motor from starting....

Comment

at IDLE ONLY, wont hurt a thing running it on the flush port.
                  in fact 90% of all F150,F200/225,F250 and up will overheat on the flush ears.

Yamaha has waffled on this a lot over the years.
                  if I was going to run it up on the dyno, I would use both and two separate water supplies.

for Idle speed, 5-10 min, flush port will work fine
                  .just wait for water to leak out the pump intake screens and you know the pump is now lubricated.

Comment

Rodbolt... I have a 2000 250HP SX 2-stroke... would you have a preference to using muffs or the built-in flush/hose attachment? Or is it a '6 of one, half-dozen of the other' thing? For flushing at low RPM only, that is. I've always used the muffs as I'm accustomed to this with stern drives.

Comment

Rodbolt. I have a similar question to the previous one...........I have a 2000 115 TXRY which is used in salt water and is in a boat lift making it very hard to
                      flush using muffs. Is it really OK to flush it at idle speed using the flush port?
                      I get conflicting answers.

Thanks for your knowledge and experience.

John

Comment

Why do you feel the need to idle the motor while it is being flushed?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Well, that's a fair question. Coming from a stern drive background and never having one of the optional flush ports, I'm used to flushing until I see the t-stat open. But, if I'm inferring correctly with where you are headed with this... Does using the flush port negate the need for needing the t-stat to open up? I other words, does the flush port bypass the stat (but still flush everything just as well as using muffs)?

I should of also added to my initial question that I would like to know the preferred way (if there is one) to run the engine out of the water for things like winterizing or really, any reason to simply run it out of the water.

Comment

I believe the Stat has to open to get all passages flushed and the best way has been said before
                            run on both hose and muffs

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                              +1 on both above posts ^^^.

The flush port NOT running is ok.

However, when NOT RUNNING, the thermostat is NOT going to open and water is NOT sufficently flowing thru the thermostat, etc to get everywhere.

In my own boat, as soon as the boat gets on the lift, the flush port is attached (not running). Once the boat is fully out of the water, the muffs go on and I'll let it idle about 1,000 RPM's for at least 10 minutes..
                              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-07-2015, 08:54 PM.
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X