Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach wiring to F50TLH

Hello,

I have a 2006 Yamaha 50hp,4 stroke,EFI with a tiller handle. I would like to connect a tachometer to it. The tach I am buying is a Pro Series II Analog tach P/N 6Y7-83540-80-00. The harness the yamaha dealer says will work is a P/N 6Y5-83553-N0-00.

I had a quick look at the engine and there is no obvious place to connect the harness. Being a tiller equipped motor I removed the bottom access cover on the tiller handle. There are wires in there but no obvious connection points for the black,green,red and yellow wires.

black- gnd
    yellow- ignition on
    green- tach signal
    red- battery

Do I have to cut and splice wires? Is there an install document available on how to do this ?

Thanks very much in advance

Darrell

Remove the bottom plate from the tiller handle. There you will find a harness to which the 6Y5-83553-N0-00 harness is connected. The other end of the N0-00 harness will connect to the tachometer.

Keep in mind that the tachometer has warning lights in it. If you want those lights to work you will need another harness that runs from the motor to the tachometer.

Comment

Boscoe99, thank you very much for the diagram. I will take another look inside the tiller handle. There is a cover plate with wires underneath. I assume that the red,yellow,green and black wires in the tiller handle would not be connected to anything. Do you know the part number of the wiring harness for the tach warning lights.

Thanks very much for your help.

Comment

6Y5-83653-00-00 has the shortest length. Will be more than you need so you will have to coil it up some where. Or, cut to length and splice.

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99. The catalog is excellent resource

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            6Y5-83653-00-00 has the shortest length. Will be more than you need so you will have to coil it up some where. Or, cut to length and splice.

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog
            I bought the cable you suggested. I believe I found the correct cable in the motor to connect it too. I assume that the connector is connected to the lights on the tiller handle and that i should connect the new tach cable to the motor end.

Tachometer

The temp light has a brown/blk wire and a yellow/red wire. The oil light has a red/blk and yellow/red wire. The yellow/red wires are tied together and do not connect to the connector which plugs into the harness coming from the motor but just has a male plug end. Will the warning lights work without the yellow/red wire connected. Where do you connect it? There is a pink/red wire also which also does not go to the tach connector and has a male plug end. The tach plug which plugs into the harness has 3 wires. pink/red no connection and the brown/blk and red/blk.

The brown/blk connects to the grey wire of the motro harness, the red/blk connects to the green/red of the motor harness.

not sure if this clear or not. Any help would be appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by darrells View Post
              I bought the cable you suggested. I believe I found the correct cable in the motor to connect it too. I assume that the connector is connected to the lights on the tiller handle and that i should connect the new tach cable to the motor end.

Tachometer

The temp light has a brown/blk wire (over temp ground) and a yellow/red wire (key on 12 volt positive power). The oil light has a red/blk (low oil pressure warning ground) and yellow/red wire (key on 12 volt positive power). The yellow/red wires are tied together (as they should be) and do not connect to the connector which plugs into the harness coming from the motor (that is correct) but just has a male plug end. Will the warning lights work without the yellow/red wire connected no. electrical power is required.. Where do you connect it? (to the fused mini harness yellow wire)There is a pink/red wire also which also does not go to the tach connector and has a male plug end (this goes to a trim meter if you have one installed). The tach plug which plugs into the harness has 3 wires. pink/red no connection and the brown/blk and red/blk.

The brown/blk connects to the grey wire of the motro harness, the red/blk connects to the green/red of the motor harness.

not sure if this clear or not. Any help would be appreciated.
              Just follow the diagram below. It is all plug and play. You are confusing the mini-harness that provides the power, ground and tachometer signal with the trim/oil harness that provides the ground for the warning lights and the trim signal.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99. I sorta had that figured out overnight. Was not sure about the yellow wire but thought it should go to another yellow for power. I had a good look inside the tiller handle at the wires in there. I could not figure out where to connect the tach harness wires. I did not see any red,green,yellow or black wires with open plugs to connect too. The dealer said it was plug and play. Im sure it might be.....but not to obvious. Any help is definitely appreciated.

Darrell

Comment

Open up the bottom of the tiller handle by removing the black plastic cover. Inside will be some wires. Find the yellow, black and green ones. They will have bullet connectors on the end that will connect to the mini harness that connects to the single wires coming from the tachometer.

I am presuming that you have the correct Yamaha multifunction tiller handle but... You might need to take the motor to a dealer and let a mechanic make the connections for you.

Here is are some more diagrams.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Open up the bottom of the tiller handle by removing the black plastic cover. Inside will be some wires. Find the yellow, black and green ones. They will have bullet connectors on the end that will connect to the mini harness that connects to the single wires coming from the tachometer.

I am presuming that you have the correct Yamaha multifunction tiller handle but... You might need to take the motor to a dealer and let a mechanic make the connections for you.

Here is are some more diagrams.

I will have another look inside the handle. I did not see any unconnected green,yellow or black wires. I assume you just need ignition power(yellow) and not red(battery) power. My handle has the built in rpm switch not the add on one if that makes any difference. Would all the tiller handles come from yamaha with the extra wires to connect a tach? From your diagram it looks like those wires are just dummy plugged and ready to connect too.

I will take it to a dealer if I cant resolve this issue.

thanks very much

darrell

Comment

Boscoe99....would it be possible for you to repost those last few wiring diagrams or email them to me (darrell@highspeedcrow.ca) . I was away all week and just found them gone from the thread.

Thanks,

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by darrells View Post
                        Boscoe99....would it be possible for you to repost those last few wiring diagrams or email them to me (darrell@highspeedcrow.ca) . I was away all week and just found them gone from the thread.

Thanks,

Darrell
                        Email sent. If and when I post stuff here it does not stay long. I have to keep my Photo Bucket account uncluttered.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99. I received your email. I actually had to splice the yellow,green and black tach harness wires into the harness inside the handle. The gauge warning light harness just plugged into the connector in the front part of the motor. I removed the cable that went to the tiller warning lights.

Thanks again for your help

Darrell

Comment

Working...
                          X