Ignition and Overheat issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition and Overheat issue

Well it's time to get the boat running again aafter trhe winter and I have a small problem that maybe someone can help with. I can not get the boat started using my key ignition. When I turn the key to the first position eveything lights up on the tach as it should but when I turn the key the tach goes blank and nothing happens. I am able to get the motor started by running jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter. It then starts up fine and runs well. Is there something in my key ignition that is wrong. I checked all the connections and they seem to be fine. This boat is now 22 years old so maybe it just went. Any ideas

I have one other issue, Once the motor is running the overheat alarm goes off after about 5-10 minutes from a cold start. I am running the engine on a pair of ear muffs with ample water flow from the hose. The flow coming from the engine is a lot weaker than I usually get when I would run in the water. Last year I replaced both thermostats and the impeller was changed. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
    Glenn

Glenn - what model motor?
    I would guess you have a bad ignition/starter switch for the first symptom.
    The overheat problem - I would run the motor in the water and not the earmuffs to eliminate poor flow from the garden hose being a possibility.
    If you have plenty of water for the water pump, and assuming the pump and thermostats are doing their job, then I would suspect the PRV (aka pressure relief valve, pressure control valve, poppit valve) sticking open and dumping cooling water before it reaches the water jackets.
    If the PRV is stuck open, then you will see water dumping out the relief holes at the top of the upper casing at low rpm. When working properly, the PRV will open at water jacket pressures 20 psi and more to relieve overpressure.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken
      Thanks for the input. The motor is a 99 200Hp Saltwater series carbureted. It is on a 20' 1984 Wellcraft hull. All the controls, except for the tach which is brand new, are original. Thanks

Comment

Does anyone else have any ideas about my ignition problem? Thank You

Comment

Working...
        X