99Yam - brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99Yam - brisket question

So Kroger has a sale on brisket. Rare to see ads on brisket around here. Full cut, probably 16 pounds. I usually buy the flats. Is there a problem slicing this thing in half, lengthwise? Leaving two long strips. This is a lot of meat.
    I saved your directions from a couple years ago.

I heard from Fairdeal. All is well with him. He is taking a break from THT. Too much BS I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      So Kroger has a sale on brisket. Rare to see ads on brisket around here. Full cut, probably 16 pounds. I usually buy the flats. Is there a problem slicing this thing in half, lengthwise? Leaving two long strips. This is a lot of meat.
      I saved your directions from a couple years ago.

I normally would cut in Half the other way to separate the lean from the clod and cook both at the same time.
      or cook the thing whole if your pit will do it.
      cool and slice and vac pack in serving size desired

with the packer Brisket , there is a lot of fat ,so you will be lucky to end up with 1/2 of what you started with.

I usually trim a lot of fat off before I cook, just to keep from having to catch all of that while cooking

what price do they have over there for brisket on sale?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 10-10-2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I normally would cut in Half the other way to separate the lean from the clod and cook both at the same time.
        or cook the thing whole if your pit will do it.
        cool and slice and vac pack in serving size desired

with the packer Brisket , there is a lot of fat ,so you will be lucky to end up with 1/2 of what you started with.

I usually trim a lot of fat off before I cook, just to keep from having to catch all of that while cooking

what price do they have over there for brisket on sale?
        Thought about cutting that way as well and using that fat end for chili and other things. Sale price? $1.77/lb. Cheapest I have seen. Fresh Market occasionally sells what they rate as prime brisket. They always run out.

Don’t blame Fairdeal. THT has turned into a cesspool of political correctness. Why bother?

Comment

Haven’t been around here much lately. Any Rodbolt sightings?

Comment

best I have seen around here was $2 LB.
            even the clod end is good BBQ when cooked right.
            nope Rod has not showed back up

Comment

when you cooking it?
              remember to season the day before

Comment

when you cooking it?
                remember to season the day before
                I froze it. Realized I would not have the time needed the next day.

Comment

I have been known to drop a frozen one into an ice chest and add cold tap water to thaw it out.
                  once thawed, trim as you like and season, stick in fridge over night
                  and fire up the pit early in the morning.

I have also got up real early and put one in the oven at 220f for a few hours and go back to bed and get you at regular time to fire up the pit and then move it over to the pit to start the smoke.
                  got to get the cold off of the meat any way you can and it is going to be a long cook on a 16lb

I try to put a couple in the freezer when I find them on sale
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 10-19-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I have been known to drop a frozen one into an ice chest and add cold tap water to thaw it out.
                    once thawed, trim as you like and season, stick in fridge over night
                    and fire up the pit early in the morning.

I have also got up real early and put one in the oven at 220f for a few hours and go back to bed and get you at regular time to fire up the pit and then move it over to the pit to start the smoke.
                    got to get the cold off of the meat any way you can and it is going to be a long cook on a 16lb

I try to put a couple in the freezer when I find them on sale
                    Good Idea!

Comment

Working...
                    X