No announcement yet.

Resurrection of my 2002 90 HP 2 stroke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurrection of my 2002 90 HP 2 stroke.

Sitting here looking at my re-manufactured, bare power head, and a bench full of components, levers, electrical wires and fuel and oil lines.
    It seems to make sense to put the engine fully together on the bench, and then transfer it over to the intermediate section in the lower casing.
    I was thinking of doing the oil feed and drain lines, then the carbs and fuel lines, and then the electrics, in that order.
    Does anyone have an opinion that I should definitely install something definitely out of that order to make things easier?
    I'd hate to install something and then later find I have to take it off again because it gets in the way of something else.

Just thought that there's a wealth of experience out there that I can tap into to make my life easier.

John
    Attached Files
    2002 KW 1720

I gather you didn't break it down to this point?

In any event, I'd assembly the power head on the bench first(little bit easier access).

Most of the order, electrics or fuel really shouldn't make a difference. Reeds, carbs and fuel first, then oil system.

Un-less you disassembled, took lots of notes/pic's I suspect you'll be "re-doing" (R&R) a part/system or two as you proceed..

If you have to force anything, somethings not right and don't proceed. The shop manual would be a big HELP especially with setting back
    up the linkages to carb/ignition...

Install into the mid-section towards the end and of course the main gauge harness last once you have something to plug into..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yes, I did strip the engine down to the bare block (power head), pulled it up from the intermediate/lower casing, which is still on the boat, and sent it off to a company to get it rebuilt.
      They bored the cylinders oversize, gave me new pistons and rings, bearings, seals, reeds etc.. It is now sitting on my bench waiting to be re-assembled and put back onto the intermediate/lower unit on the boat.

When I disassembled the engine I took lots of pictures, but I was more concerned with remembering where all the electrical connections were than remembering what order I took things off.
      This was because during strip down, I found I have to remake a lot of new electrical connections in the harness (corroded terminals etc,).
      After I disassembled the engine, I seem to recall that the oil tubes and drains appeared to make a layer under everything, closest to the block.
      Then the carbs were next. Then the fuel tubes seemed to make a next layer for those,and then the carburetor linkages and oil linkage seemed to layer over those.
      The major mechanical linkages seemed to lay on top of everything, but obviously since I was winging it, that wasn't the way they came off.

Now after a couple of weeks, my memory is hazy on the order the parts came off. I was hoping there wasn't some particular order that I should be following on the rebuild to reduce the chance of having to redo a sequence due to interference or clearance between parts, such as getting bolts into holes under oil lines (fuel strainer for instance). One thing I do know is on the 90 motor the oil lines run under and behind the carbs. I was hoping there were not other things like that.

I have no problem with the technical side of the engine, I do have the shop manual, and can handle the linkage settings, but having to thread hardened oil pipes and wiring behind linkages already installed is a lot harder than doing the pipes and wiring first.

Maybe I'm overthinking the rebuild, but when I've rebuilt bike and car engines, order of assembly often matters.
      I was just hoping there may have been someone out there who may have done this before and may have had some pointers.
      But thanks for responding to my post.

John
      2002 KW 1720

Comment

I would think you are on you own doing this.
        I did pull and strip down my C40 to replace the crank a few years ago, but remembering anything about how it came apart and how I put it back together is long gone from my memory.

maybe someone that does it every day would know,
        we do miss Rodbolt's input to a lot of these threads

Comment

Working...
        X