Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F115LB Lower

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a boat with a 2014 Yamaha F115LB. I just found out that the lower is from a 2004ish 90hp yami. After looking at the parts diagram it looks like these are a bit different. The F115LB has a steady bearing near the crank while the 90 does not seem to have it. It is mounted and seems to be shifting and pumping water. Does anyone know if these lowers are compatible?

I also may have a line on a 2012 F115LA lower. If the 90 is a no go would one this lower work on the F115LB?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Ok, so I figured out that the lower is most likely a 2 stroke 115 leg from the mid 90s. Which should be ok to use. Some of the aftermarket/reman dealers list that there lowers will crossover. Another telling factor is the prop shaft. It is the bigger thread and the thrust washer from the F115 fits while the thrust washer from the 90 does not. So i think I'm ok.

One more question. Has anyone here mounted a turning point prop onto these outboards? When I mount mine with the 505 kit (the 500 kit does not fit), the castellated prop nut washer does not engage with the shaft splines. According to the instructions this is ok, but the Castellated prop nut washer does not center itself and has lots of slop side to side. Is this acceptable? It seems like it can be off center enough to cause vibration.

Steve

Comment

If the splined washer (or anything else) doesn't make/keep the prop dead nuts on straight with the prop shaft, I'd be very leary of that set up.

Vib's from a prop wobbling will cause un-due wear and tear on the LU besides some serious vibration..

Above is IMO and common sense..

Good luck getting it further figured out..

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yeah, I don’t like it. Wondering if I have the wrong washer in the kit. I will try to contact turning point.

Comment

So I talked to turning point propellers yesterday. The 505 is the right kit for my lower. I guess because it fits an array of models the castellated nut spacer/washer is a bit sloppy on the shaft. The fellow on the phone said that the best thing to do is center it as well as possible while tightening. The prop will be perfectly center, I am not worried about that. He said that because the washer is so close to the center of rotation that it should cause no vibration even if it is off center a bit. . I don't like the slop but what he says does make some sense. I will give it a try and report back.

Comment

That does not make sense !!!

Comment

IMO, I'd bring the lower (and prop) to a YAMAHA shop and get the correct splined washer.

Parts guy may get pissed but they can look thru their parts stock and get the correct one..

Scott

Comment

Ok, so after having a closer look I realized that the prop hub needed to be pressed in a little further. It looked like it was seated but was not. Once seated I was able to get the outer washer splines to key in by about 1/8”. So now it’s centred and all good.

Comment

is this a shop pressed in hub?
                  or is it one that the hub is replaceable buy the owner, by just slipping it in?

Comment

It is the one that can be replaced by the owner. It just slips in, but needs a couple light taps with a plastic hammer to go the extra 1\8". Turning point propellers hustler with 505 hub kit

Comment

Originally posted by Troutbeast View Post
                      So I talked to turning point propellers yesterday. The 505 is the right kit for my lower. I guess because it fits an array of models the castellated nut spacer/washer is a bit sloppy on the shaft. The fellow on the phone said that the best thing to do is center it as well as possible while tightening. The prop will be perfectly center, I am not worried about that. He said that because the washer is so close to the center of rotation that it should cause no vibration even if it is off center a bit. . I don't like the slop but what he says does make some sense. I will give it a try and report back.
                      Glad you found the issue..

*Kinda f...ed up from post #5:
                      Quote: "The fellow on the phone said that the best thing to do is center it as well as possible while tightening. The prop will be perfectly center, I am not worried about that. He said that because the washer is so close to the center of rotation that it should cause no vibration even if it is off center a bit. " End quote

I know what I will NEVER buy (because of the "support")...

Scott

Comment

thanks, that is what I thought,
                        but the word pressed you used in that post had me wondering.

not sure why this did not post this morning when I wrote it, but could have been my fault some how

Comment

Yeah pressed might not have been the best word to use. Just some light taps with a plastic hammer. Its a plastic hub with bronze splines. I will be changing it to a different prop next week. I'm over pitched a it so I have ordered the next one down. I will let you know how that one fits.

I was a little perturbed by the advice to try to center the washer. But after the install, having the washer center itself on the splines, I feel confident that the prop and hub are safe to use. We have a lot of wood in my area, so I'm happy if the prop breaks or the hub slips before blowing up the lower.

Comment

Working...
                          X