Looking for Help on buying new motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Help on buying new motor

I'm new to this forum and to Yamaha. I've been a Evinrude owner for years, (G1 and new G2 Versions) and I just sold my boat, (New Water Ibis) and I'm in the process of spacing out a new boat, (New Water Curlew). I loved the torque on the Evinrude's. I fish the Lower Laguna Madre in South Padre Island TX where shallow water... I mean really shallow water is the norm. Having the torque to get up in 8 to 12 inches of water is key.

The MAX HP for the Curlew is 130HP, so I am looking at the 115 series. First question: the F115 versus the 115 SHO VMAX. Top speed is not the critical item, low end torque is to jump on plane ASAP. I read that the SHO has a higher HP output, but the specs look identical. Forgetting the cost difference between the two, is there a torque advantage with the SHO version? I know the right prop is key, but assuming they have the correct props, would there be a improvement with the SHO on the torque curve for taking off in shallow water? For those familiar with cupping of the props, New Water cups the props for improved takeoff.

Next question has to do with gauges. I like to see as much engine info as possible... temp, fuel usage, etc beyond just RPM. I'm looking at the CL5 touch screen gauge and the CY6. The Yamaha site does not have much info on these gauges. Are they both available, or is one replacing the other?

I'm having trouble finding what data I will get from the 115 series motors on the gauge. Do I need other parts specified on the engine to get the data onto the gauge? Can someone help me find the data I will be able to see? New Water Boats will be doing the rigging, but I want to make sure I am specifying everything properly to get what I want up front.

I've never owned a 4 stroke outboard, but that is where I'm headed. I'm just making sure I get it right as much as possible up front. Thanks in advance for the help and feedback.
    Last edited by Joe78734; 10-07-2020, 12:53 PM.

For 8 to 12 inches of water maybe consider an outboard with a jet drive foot......the jets give up about 15% of power through the drive but for shallow water it might be hard to beat......

Comment

Thanks for getting back. Everything i've read says to stay away from Jet drive in our area due to lots of sea grass, especially in the spring. The boat has a tunnel hull design and a jack plate. Basically when you takeoff or are running on plane, the prop is above the bottom of the boat in the tunnel. I've seen a few jet drive engines and all have had problems in our area with sucking up grass and sand. Thanks for getting back, i do appreciate the feedback and suggestion.

Comment

I'd get a ETEC hands down.. yes they are no longer making them (bummer) parts won't be a issue
        . BTW, the most protected body water in the USA is Lake Tahoe..
        And the water cops are running ETEC's

Comment

I just sold my boat that had a 2018 G2 200HO. Great engine, incredible torque, but the dealer was already having a very hard time getting parts. Most of the support people were no longer with the company. Bottom line is I was highly concerned with the part situation so i sold it and have a new boat on order. As much as i would love another G2, for the long run I have to switch. It looks like it's either Yam or Mercury, and I think it's going to be a Yam SHO.

Comment

Working...
          X