Yamaha 200 4 stroke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200 4 stroke problem

I have two 200 motors, one works fine but the second one has problems starting. When the engine is warm and I try to start, it pulls an incredible amount of amps to the point that it will actually shut off the second engine. It seems like it's shorted out. I replaced the stater but it continues to have the same problem. When the engine cools down the starter will turn over. Does anyone have an idea what it might be???

Did you replace stator or starter?

Comment

Thank you for getting back!
      I replaced the complete starter assembly.

Comment

Ideally, each motor should have its own battery, dedicated just for starts.

If just one battery is used, and if that battery is not doing its job, or if the battery cables or a battery switch are compromised, that could be the source of your problem.

Comment

Bad battery,cables, or connections between battery and stater are the only thing I can think of that cause slow turning of starter unless there is something binding up the motor from turning.

Lower unit can bind up a motor also.
          You can always drop the lower to see if that helps

Comment

Try swapping out the starter motors and see if things change.

Comment

or swap engines port to stbd and see if the issues follow.

or step back 5 paces and chunk wads o cash at them.

or simply do a voltage drop test and find the bad cable/connection.

but you may wish to PROPERLY rig the batteries so each engine has a dedicated starting battery.

Comment

I have two batteries. Both have been replaced and the voltage has been measured at 13.8 volts. When the engine is warm the starter motor pulls so much power that one battery will not do the job. As mentioned, I place both of my battery switches to 2 and try to start it. I consumes so much power that it tries to shut off the second motor which is running. When this occurs there is no slow turning of the starter motor, there just seems to be a short. Switching stater motors will not do it since I just put in a brand new one last week. I will try to change out the cables between the motor and the batteries.

Thanks for all you help!

Comment

you obviously have no clue of voltage drop testing.

google it or better yet do a forum search about how its done.

the motors require about 9 amps at 12V just to run.

you can chunk wads o cash at 5 paces all you wish but without proper testing and an understanding of why your testing it it will deplete the wallet rapidly.

a simple test to rule out mechanical binding????
                  old school baby old school.
                  simply break out the old beam type torque wrench, measure how much turning force it takes to rotate the motor cold,retest after its warmed up.

quick and simple and requires no cash.\

from your description you most likely have a poor ground or a bad cable/connection.

any and ALL voltage tests MUST be made with the device activated(loaded).
                  13.8V is not what you should see when cranking a normal engine.

cables from Yamaha are rather expensive.
                  even buying marine rated #4 cable is about 2.50 a foot, plus lugs and time to pull and install stuff.
                  a voltage drop test is over in about 15 minutes.

Comment

Thank You Rodbolt17

I will have my electrician check out the voltage drop and all the things you suggested.

By the way the 13.8 volts was measured when the boat was running. Not during the starting cycle.

Comment

Put an ammeter on the problematic motor and tell us how many amps the starter motor uses while cranking the motor.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 03-21-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        you obviously have no clue of voltage drop testing.
                        You must be best buds with the moderators. If I said that I would have received an infraction and be put on double secret probation.

Comment

Remember boscoe, it is the customer doing you a favor coming here and asking for help!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Put an ammeter on the problematic motor and tell us how many amps the starter motor uses while cranking the motor.
                            Need a voltage reading at the same time as the amps, lower volts will mean higher amps

Comment

Interesting..Only seems that the starting draw only is affected under high engine temperatures(warmed engine)..When its cold its fine .
                              What does heat do to a starter motor, or affect engine rotation (drag).If he put new batteries in and a new starter one thinks the cables were inspected and cleaned during the process.. ??

Comment

Working...
                              X