Water pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump replacement

My question is before I reinstall the Lower unit I know I'm supposed to grease the splines. Yamaha recommends their wr #2 grease. I Can't seem to get it anywhere. Can I use their regular marine grease that goes in the gun? Would this be a problem if I used it?

Most probably any good grease would do, but I use the Quicksilver 2-4-C Waterproof Marine Grease....comes in about a 6 ounce tube and for splines, threads and assembly the tube should last you for years....

Comment

Not sure what you going to save using regular grease. spline grease had better characteristics to withstand enormous pressure at contact points at splines. west marine sells this grease, so are yamaha dealers. mail order. what is the problem to use recommended grease? and risking to damage splines? I just don't understand logic here (if any).

Comment

Somewhat related but relevent.

IF, you have a mid section bushing (drived shaft machined smooth in the middle), use the Yamaha multipurpose grease, part # ACC-MLTPR-GR-00 (16 oz tub is nder $10.00).

This is used on that shaft spline and machined section is waterproof and will not fling off. Its also god for the splines.

I can tell you by experiance, regular marine grade wheel bearing grease, on that smooth shaft, will NOT hold up and be squeeking within 6 months...(don't ask)..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

any Yamaha dealer will be able to get your wr2

Yamaha Grease

Comment

From all the yamaha dealers I have spoken to and the big yamaha part dealers on the web they all say it is back ordered till June or July. Obviously Im not waiting till then to reinstall lower units so that's why I'm trying to find other options.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyshaft View Post
              any Yamaha dealer will be able to get your wr2

Yamaha Grease
              Back ordered from them too!

Comment

The Quicksilver 2-4-C is highly recommended for splines....go on line and check it out!....

Comment

Evinrude/Johnson "Triple Guard grease" (blue and white squeeze container) works just as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Triple-Gu...e+guard+grease

Free shipping too!!
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                  X