Adding nmea 2000 gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding nmea 2000 gateway

I recently obtained a yamaha nmea gateway and pigtail so I could connect my command link plus to my lowrance nmea2000 network. But now I find that my 3 port command link plus bus has no open spots to plug in the gateway pigtail. The 3 ports are used by the controls and two square multi-function guages.

How do I expand the buss so that I will be able to plus in another device?

Square gauges are Command Link, not Command Link Plus.

Anyway, you will need to buy another CL hub and a pigtail harness to jumper the new hub to the existing hub. With the new hub you will then have spare device ports available.

What type of motor? A Gateway is not needed for all engine models. Some dwill send engine data directly to an NMEA device sans the Gateway.

Comment

Quote: Square gauges are Command Link, not Command Link Plus.

WRONG!!!!My motor is a 2012 250HP UCA, electronic controls (fly by wire) which must be Command Link Plus and my gauges ARE Command Link Plus based on the Yamaha manuals that came with the boat.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this new hub and pigtail I'm going to need.
      Last edited by captainbob; 03-19-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainbob View Post

WRONG!!!!My motor is a 2012 250HP UCA, electronic controls (fly by wire) which must be Command Link Plus and my gauges ARE Command Link Plus based on the Yamaha manuals that came with the boat.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this new hub and pigtail I'm going to need.
        An F250UCA is both CL and CL Plus compatible.

CL gauges are either round or square, both in black and while. CL Plus is rectangular, in color.

If you have square gauges they are CL only. They are connected to your CL network. Your CL Plus network is not being used.

Back to the manual for you.

When you come back with egg on your face, and your apology, I will give you a link to the part numbers. The same document I link you to will clearly identify CL versus CL Plus gauges. Your apology will be accepted.

You are welcome.

Comment

Thanks for the education. It's a shame that my question about expanding the buss (hub) has degraded into a debate on what type of guages I have which is totally irrelevant to my question about expanding the buss. Now I have a better understanding of Yamaha's terminology. I originally thought that command link plus and command link used different buss bars and connectors, but now I can see the buss bars are common.

I have an command link plus engine, command link plus digital controls, and command link plus start/stop switch which feed command link plus data to the command link/command link plus buss (hub) that needs to be expanded so that I can connect my NMEA gateway. Yes, I have command link guages instead of the optional command link lcd display. If I did purchase that command link plus display, it would connect to the same buss that the command link guages are currently connected.

So, how do I expand the buss? Purchase a new buss and a connecting cable? Move the terminating resistor to the end of the new buss?
          Last edited by captainbob; 03-19-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captainbob View Post

You try to help someone and this is what you get?

The comment about Command Link versus Plus is relevant to part of the answer you were going to get from the best help you can find here, or anywhere on the internet.
            Last edited by tmann45; 03-19-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by tmann45 View Post
                You try to help someone and this is what you get?

The comment about Command Link versus Plus is relevant to part of the answer you were going to get from the best help you can find here, or anywhere on the internet.
                Thanks. I don't have the time or the energy to try and explain Yamaha's madness when it comes to Command Link and its many variants.

People, and dealers, find it hard to undersand. I guess if it was easy there would not be so many how to questions.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Thank you very much. As a smarter man once said, "A picture is worth 1000 words." I now have a much better understanding of Yamaha's terminology and what I need to complete my project. In today's lingo, I've been schooled!

I've been boating over 60 years and worked on Mercurys, Evinrudes, Graymarine, Chrysler, Mercruiser, Marine Power and Caterpillar but this is my first experience with the products that come from the other side of the Pacific ocean.

Comment

Never stop learning.

I try to learn something new every day. This website is a good school for me to learn stuff about Yamaha products.

Best thing I have learned is not to assume anything about how Yam does stuff. Just when I think I understand how one model works Yam will do a different model in a different way. Those Japs can do some strange stuff.

Oh, and read all of their literature with a grain of salt.

Comment

ya gotta love the jinglish translations sometimes.

its not just the japs,sometimes trying to decipher Volvo's swinglish is tricky as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X