Thermostat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat question

I have a 2003 yamaha f115 4 stroke. My thermostat opens at just under 120 degrees f. Once I take it out of the hot water, it takes 2 minutes to close. Seems like this would make it stay open almost all the time in my engine.
    68V-12411-00-00
    Should I swap it with a new one? I had another New thermostat I bought by accident, different size, but I heated them up side by side and the other thermostat closed in under 15 seconds out of the water.
    I was making oil is the reason I checked it.

you could monitor the water temp as you add some cooler water to see what temp it closes back off,
    I would think it should close back at 115 or so

Comment

Two minutes seems to be a long time to close once there's no hot water.

Possibly, that T-stat is 17 years old.

If your "making oil" and it takes that long to close, it's cheap enough (much cheaper than an oil change/filter), I'd just replace it...

How corroded does it look, maybe post a pic?

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The thermostat is a brand new one from this Summer. I changed it because the other one had been in there for 17 years, but working fine I bought a yamaha tstat from the local marina. It has an updated number so I think it’s an 01-00.
        I pulled into the dock today after running the boat a total of 10 minutes. I popped the top off to pull it out to bring it home and test it, and it was wide open. I pulled it and watched for a couple minutes as it lay in my toolbox, and finally started closing. If it opens at 118-120, I can’t imagine the motor ever is much cooler than that, so it must be like it's running stuck open.

Comment

Comment

Look at this video, especially at the 11 minute 30 sec mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkSfPbGr3Y

The T stats are closing in about a minute (yes this is an automotive stat). .

It is possible the new t stat isn't working properly. There may be a # stamped in the T-stat showing the supposed to be opening.

Looking at the spec's for my F150, the T-Stat temps ARE a bit higher than yours. The cooler temps, and staying open
            MUCH longer ISN'T HELPING with making oil.

Also, per my F150 manual (your may be different:

Capture.JPG
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you. I watched the video, and mine is closing much slower. My tstat is stamped 50 which I assume is Celsius which is 122F. Not sure my thermometer is perfectly accurate but seems to be opening at 118, and fully open at 130. I think I’ll suck it up and buy a new one, then I can compare.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X