2008 150 2 stroke (TXR) gearcase leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 150 2 stroke (TXR) gearcase leak

I've owned this motor since new, has about 250 hours on it, used in saltwater (FL) seasonally (winter), boat is kept on a lift during season and trailer dry-stored in off season. Motor is flushed with fresh water every use.

At the end of each season (i.e. spring) I have always changed the gearcase lube, and it has always been in excellent appearance - no evidence of leaks. I always use a new Yamaha washer when reinstalling the plugs, and tighten with a wrench on the screwdriver. When I last drained it (March, 2020) there was quite a bit of water in the fluid drained. Possible causes I can think of: (i) a slight irregularity in one of the drainplug washers might have caused a leak; (ii) a relatively low speed soft bottom grounding (skeg and prop contacted sand bottom at about 10 mph but no obvious damage other than paint scraped off); and (iii) it has been a few years since I removed the prop so possibly there is some issue there, although visually looks OK.

What is recommended to address this issue? Pressure test of gearcase?

I need to change the impeller so will perform recommended gearcase leak detection procedures before using the boat again upcoming winter season.

fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft if the most likely problem, pull the prop and look.
    then do a pressure test before filling it back up with lube

Comment

Gotta be a leaking seal. As 99yam noted, quickest way to confirm the leak is to pressure test.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
      X