Hurricane beat my boat up. Engine dunked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane beat my boat up. Engine dunked

Hi Everybody. Just got boat back in water after hurricane. It took a dunking. Got caught in a boathouse that fell on the stern. Not much water in engine, maybe a little deep into bottom cylinder. No water in engine oil. Oiled up the cylinders. Engine turns over. I have no spark, no gas smell and no idea what to do next? It’s a 10 year old F115 Yamaha.

I'm awful sorry for all the damage down there....maybe insurance company might total your motor since it was saltwater dunking?....good luck!

Comment

Drain the oil, no way to tell if water in it unless you drain it.
      water would be on the bottom oil on top.
      if water got into the bottom cylinder then I would think it would get into the crankcase.
      need to open up everything that got water in it and clean.
      electrical stuff does not like water and salt

Comment

Plus one ^^.. Was it fresh water or mostly salt water intrusion? I ask in that I'd probably give a light rinse of fresh water where water intrusion was..

Unplug ALL electrical connections, blow dry, WD 40 them, then dielectric grease.

Fuel system (especially the VST), depending on how sunk it got, may need at least draining, or dis-assembly. Flush fuel lines (primer bulb thru draining VST)

As for the wet cylinder, pull the spark plug (I'd pull all of them), squirt in some two stroke oil and crank over (plugs out), just to STOP any corrosion.
        That oil will smoke but burn off W/O incident once started.

If the starter got wet, might be pulling apart and doing the same to it (as posted above).

If still doesn't start, at least you pretty much stopped further corrosion before someone can look at it....

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would highly recommend DEOXIT on all pigtails (connectors) much better than Water Dispersant 40th attempt

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
            I would highly recommend DEOXIT on all pigtails (connectors) much better than Water Dispersant 40th attempt
            Just looked it up, sounds like some good stuff: https://caig.com/#

Which specific Deoxit product for his issue AND also preventive maintenance (spray power head to soak/prevent connector corrosion/issue)?

As a side note, I've used this stuff(expensive): https://www.mgchemicals.com/products...aner-with-ppe/
            on my Yamaha ignition switch (occasional no action at crank position-Fixed that-14 year old switch) as well as saving two stereo's which regular contact cleaner didn't work.. Leaves
            a film (feels like light oil).

Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Update. Got it going. Had to beat on kill switch. Recharge batteries a few times. Water was in oil. Drove it 7 miles in wind and rain to launch. Engine kept conking out, maybe water in fuel. Hull is cracked And had bilge running whole timE. Took boat home. Changed oil and filter. Next. Is to spray Wire connectors And fix hull. Thanks for the advice. I needed it.

Comment

Working...
              X