Yamaha 8MSHV / 8hp / 2 Stroke Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 8MSHV / 8hp / 2 Stroke Fuel Pump

Inherited this outboard with a dinghy purchase. I am a self proclaimed DIY hack. I took the carb off and cleaned; emptied the fuel tank and flushed new gas through the line and carb When priming the engine the fuel pump spits a fine stream of fuel out through a ball type valve on the top of the pump. I dissembled the fuel pump (again) to make sure I had oriented the the gaskets the proper direction. I think I have. Fuel still squirts out the valve on top. What's the logical next step? Replace gaskets? Did I botch it by swabbing the gaskets membrane with a paper towel on the initial cleaning? Or, by using light pressurized air on the whole thing? Thanks for your help.

As a follow up question: Is there a source for manuals for these older engines? Manuals that are not priced at $90? Thanks again.

Comment

not understanding a ball valve on top of fuel pump, but I am not familiar with that motor

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        not understanding a ball valve on top of fuel pump, but I am not familiar with that motor
        Could that be the air pressure equaliser hole? Probably indicating the diaphragm inside the vacuum fuel pump is leaking and needs replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X