Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glennbossie
    replied
    I took my lower unit off and took the water pump/ impeller off and reinstalled it. I had just replaced it last Fall, so it all looked great. I put it back together and ran the muffs on it. The water coming out of the p hole tripled. Sometimes I had to squeeze the muffs to get it to come out. This time it came out strong and straight. Not sure if this will fix my problem, but really happy this works better now.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    Originally posted by glennbossie View Post
    I removed all my power leads and grounds from the battery and motor and cleaned and inspected them. Did have some corrosion and my motor hot lead had the nut only finger tight. Took the boat back out on the river, and same problem. Ran at 5krpm on step for a couple of minutes, and then its like someone turned the key off. Motor will only run in idle and a little higher, maybe 2k rpms. Push it any harder, and it stalls and will not restart until it cools down or rests for a little while.
    Reading this again , over heat will not cause the motor to die and not restart.

when this happens check for spark.
    if all plugs have good spark, then it would have to be too much fuel or not enough fuel to fire the cylinders properly

Leave a comment:

• glennbossie
    replied
    How would you check for an overheat? Should I take it to the fail point, and take a temp reading on the motor? I don’t have temp gauges on the boat.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    sounds the same as over heat.
    just saying make sure that is not the problem

Leave a comment:

• glennbossie
    replied
    I removed all my power leads and grounds from the battery and motor and cleaned and inspected them. Did have some corrosion and my motor hot lead had the nut only finger tight. Took the boat back out on the river, and same problem. Ran at 5krpm on step for a couple of minutes, and then its like someone turned the key off. Motor will only run in idle and a little higher, maybe 2k rpms. Push it any harder, and it stalls and will not restart until it cools down or rests for a little while.

Leave a comment:

• glennbossie
    replied
    My overheat alarm does work, and occasionally comes on when I’m running out of the water with the muffs on. I did have gas in my oil, and changed both the thermostat and low pressure fuel pump. Changed the oil and filter also.

Leave a comment:

• glennbossie
    replied
    I’ll go do that now. Thanks. I think the tach goes crazy because the engine is jumping up and down when it first happens.

Leave a comment:

• 99yam40
    replied
    do you have a tach with alarm warning lights, and do they work?
    does the alarm buzzer work.
    there is a good chance your motor is over heating or has an oil pressure problem after heating up
    rule out the things you can check easily 1st

Leave a comment:

• TownsendsFJR1300
    replied
    Check all battery connections both at the battery and power-head.

R&R them, no just "looks fine".. make sure ALL grounds as well are super clean and tight.

A loose/crappy electrical connection can cause all kinds of issues.

Bad coils won't make your tach go crazy, I'd guess a bad connection somewhere..

Leave a comment:

• 2003 F115 hp 4 stroke problems after 15 minutes of running

My motor run great from idle to wot for about 10-15 minutes, then starts cutting out. Tach goes crazy up and down and engine really hesitates, and dies. Sometimes it starts back up, but I usually have to wait for 15 minutes for it to cool down, then it will start and I can run it at idle to get home. If I leave it to cool for a couple hours, I can repeat this whole process almost exactly. I suspect the coils may be acting up when they heat up, but would like some suggestions. I thought fuel issue at first, but it runs fantastic for those 15 minutes.
Working...
X