Installed new prop shaft and won't shift into forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed new prop shaft and won't shift into forward

I have a 1996 90tlru outboard I just bought recently. Found that the prop shaft was a little bent. Eventually got the old one out. Replaced the reverse bearings and kept everything else the same. Did my best to follow manual and diagram to put everything back together. Dog clutch sits in neutral and will shift to forward and reverse before assembled. shift cam is facing right way. when together It will only shift into reverse. The shifter will not turn into forward position. I'm wondering if I did something wrong with putting the dog clutch back on. Any ideas? I'm about to take it somewhere. Can't find any videos with anyone working on that exact motor. Thanks for any help!

are you sure you got all of the springs and other stuff in properly on that prop shaft.
    I believe they are spring loaded into forward, so you have to overcome that spring pressure to shift into neutral and reverse

Comment

okay...if it is supposed to be spring loaded into forward then I did something wrong. None of the pictures that I have found are real clear. I didn't take parts out of the shift slide but must have done something wrong with where the other spring is and where the pin goes that holds in the dog clutch. I had to press that spring out of the way to get that pin in. Definitely sounds like it's related to that.

Comment

see if this looks any better/clearer
        https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Comment

Working...
        X