What does this connection do? I think it's related to engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does this connection do? I think it's related to engine oil

Hi all. I'm new to boating having purchased a 26ft 1985 Tiara 2600 Pursuit with a single Yamaha 225hp 4-stroke engine one month ago. For the test run before buying we got above 30 knots but when I first drove it I didn't get more than 4 knots at full throttle. Also at some point the engine besides struggling, started to sound like it wanted to cut off. Some checks were made after once the boat was on the rack and in the engine there was a fitting that was unplugged. Someone who knows more than me said that the fitting monitored the oil pressure and could affect the engine if not plugged in. We tried starting the engine about 4 weeks later and it didn't start with the fitting plugged in. Once we unplugged it the engine started. Once the engine was warmed up we plugged back in the fitting and the engine started. Then we checked the oil and it was just above the the low mark about a quarter of the way above low, three quarters below high. Before I top up the oil which is in good condition, I want to know if anyone could tell me what this fitting is and what it does or how it works. The engine is a 2005 LF225 4-stroke with 400hrs. Pictures are attached and the fitting is hurt left of the yellow top of the dipstick. The female end is black and hard fitted and the male end is grey and connected to a wire.
    Attached Files

not anything to do with oil.
    I cant open the pics.
    but the oil sender is a three wire device.

Comment

Ok I reposted the pics.

Comment

If you can see the colour of the wires and get your hands on a wiring diagram from a service manual you could possibly trace them.

Comment

one of those connectors is shift position, wont affect engine starting.
          the other is shift cut,still should not affect engine starting.
          they are both ON/OFF switchs and easy to test.

Comment

OK I will take a look at the service manual I bought and see if I can trace the wires by color.

Comment

Thanks for the guidance.

Comment

Working...
              X