X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puller......https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MS..._1599438862230

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

has this rig sat up for the last 6 months?

My rig is stored for no more than 2 weeks w/o being run. I think the longest storage time w/o running is 3 weeks since I've owned...5 years.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Well one thing is for sure....this prop shaft seal looks terrible

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          Motor of that age ran in salt water, it isn't coming out even with the proper spanner.
          That's the equalizer here ^^^ .... on whether its worth my labor or paying for labor to get the carrier out. I have no doubt its original and likely to have never been pulled. 22 year motor ran in saltwater.....I don't have much faith here.
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post

That's the equalizer here ^^^ .... on whether its worth my labor or paying for labor to get the carrier out. I have no doubt its original and likely to have never been pulled. 22 year motor ran in saltwater.....I don't have much faith here.
            panasonic, was talking about the nut not the carrier

Comment

Got it....
              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                Got it....
                If you have some of the basic tools, (I believe you have a shop manual), I'd at least take a shot at pulling it apart.

The only real investment at this point is some of your time.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The outer prop seal looked very worn. Considering the motor age and saltwater exposure throughout its life, and my guess that the carrier has never been pulled, my plan is to replace both prop seals, shifter and drive shaft seals, then pressure test. If pressure holds, great....I’ll get more use out of the LU. If pressure doesn’t hold, then will likely replace LU. Cause if it’s gotta be pulled, might as well replace parts. And the cost of replacement parts and labor is nearly the cost of replacing the entire LU.
                  Jason

Comment

how do you plan on putting it into gear if the new seals hold?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      how do you plan on putting it into gear if the new seals hold?
                      Elaborate a little bit....sorry, not following ya. The LU will be dropped...shift into gear manually via shift shaft, no?
                      Jason

Comment

it will not shift right now,
                        replacing seals will not fix that

Comment

To add to 99's post, it doesn't shift right now.

Before installing/investing in new seals, might try putting in some say 30 wt oil, sloch it about and see if the insides loosen up(shifts).

This would also allow you to flush out any broken off rust, left over water, etc... If it still doesn't shift, re-sealing is a waste of time and money..

Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

To add to Scott's post. The Gland Nut, which is the big outside threaded ring that has square notches in it all round, in your picture, has to come out to remove the prop shaft seal/bearing carrier.

So if you have that removed, you get to have a look inside somewhat and maybe see what is "making metal" in there.

Comment

drop the lower unit.
                              if you find no problem with the shift shaft going down to the lower unit, you will need to open up the lower unit to see what is going on inside

Comment

I'm certain I've read on this forum countless times that one should not move into/out of gear if the driveshaft is not spinning. I'm not crazy here, right?!

If I'm not crazy, why does the service manual not indicate the need to turn the driveshaft when checking gear complation?
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X