Adding a spin on fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a spin on fuel filter

I have a 2012 Yamaha 25 LEHB and would like to install a spin on fuel filter. Before doing so I wanted to ask forum users if the fuel pump can handle the additional flow restriction that might be created by adding a screw on filter. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes a 10 micron should work OK,
    not sure about a 2 though

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue. I would get one with a clear, bottum section to see any water build up and be able to drain it easily with one screw..

Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by 63ihscouter View Post
        I have a 2012 Yamaha 25 LEHB and would like to install a spin on fuel filter. Before doing so I wanted to ask forum users if the fuel pump can handle the additional flow restriction that might be created by adding a screw on filter. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
        For a 25HP motor the Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separater for $28 will do the job just fine....no worry about fuel pump/fuel flow. I unscrew mine and dump it maybe once a year, replace the filter cartridge about every 3rd year. Each time I've replaced the cartridge I've hack sawed it to inspect the paper element....every time it looks pretty much like new....these filters a like **** for the preventive maintenance of your fuel induction system...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          For a 25HP motor the Walmart/Attwood fuel/water separater for $28 will do the job just fine....no worry about fuel pump/fuel flow. I unscrew mine and dump it maybe once a year, replace the filter cartridge about every 3rd year. Each time I've replaced the cartridge I've hack sawed it to inspect the paper element....every time it looks pretty much like new....these filters a like **** for the preventive maintenance of your fuel induction system...
          Just to add to Roberts post, the aluminum (or SS if you upgrade), (at least in my application) transom bracket originally came with the filter ONLY. The filter and cup will also fit. I actually have the original filter(low hours), stored under the center console SHOULD the plastic cup break/crack etc.

+1 on getting about 3 years out of the filter..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Did I recall from previous posts regarding coast guard regulations regarding those clear plastic bowls?....maybe it was about inboard applications?....just trying to recall....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Did I recall from previous posts regarding coast guard regulations regarding those clear plastic bowls?....maybe it was about inboard applications?....just trying to recall....
              Correct - inboard/stern drive has to have a metal bowl. Now... it could be that it's required to be a metal bowl when the assembly is installed below decks with an engine and/or fuel tank in the same compartment (bilge). But since I've never installed nor seen a fuel filter for an inboard engine installed above decks (wouldn't make sense), I don't if it's "Because it's an inboard" or simply because it's "in an enclosed area with the engine/fuel tank". Either way, yes, inboards will use metal and OB's can use either.

Fuel line is kinda the same - one type (typically grey - B1) is required for OB's, whereas inboards can use A1 (black). Same construction, with the only difference being the outer covering. The OB hose has a UV-rated covering. Inboards could actually use either.
              Last edited by DennisG01; 03-09-2015, 09:05 PM.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
              X