25MSHA3 tiller to remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25MSHA3 tiller to remote

I installed the 6J8-48501-03-4D REMOTE CONT. ATTACHMENT ASSY this weekend and removed the tiller handle assembly. I was trying to install the steering hook 6J8-48511-51-4D, not sure where it goes. Looks like a bracket should bolt up to where the tiller assy did with 2 bolts. Any ideas?

Looks to me like item 33 would come off and the steering hook would bolt directly to item 25.

Comment

Part #25 has two studs and the steering hook only has 1. I have attached a pic of the steering hook. I think.
      Attached Files

Comment

Take a look at this illustration of part number 6J8-48511-51-4D.

2006 and Later 25ESR Yamaha Outboard CONTROL 2 Diagram and Parts

Comment

Ah I have to remove one of the studs, Thanks for your help.

Comment

Should be two studs, two washers and two nuts used.

Comment

The 6J8-48511-51-4D (superseded by 689-48511-02) only has one hole in it.

Comment

Should I use 689-48511-01-00, See attached pdf.
                Attached Files

Comment

Sorry that is the one I have .

Comment

Originally posted by BAYFISHER View Post
                    The 6J8-48511-51-4D (superseded by 689-48511-02) only has one hole in it.
                    I don't see the parts supercedure that you are talking about.

Yamaha US has this part (6J8) in stock. Boats.net shows that it (6J8) is available at $51.69.

Boat Parts: 6J8-48511-51-4D

The Yamaha outboard rigging guide shows the 6J8 part as being the required one for a 25 HP. Not the 689 prefix part number.

6L2-48501-11-00 Throttle & Shift
                    689-61350-02-00 Steering Arm
                    6J8-48511-51-4D Steering Hook

Where are you getting your information from?

Comment

Here is an illustration of your motor.

Have you removed item 33? If two studs, washers and nuts were used to attach item 33 does it not stand to reason that two studs, washers and nuts are needed to attach the steering hook? Wouldn't that steering hook need two holes to interface with the steering bracket?

Comment

When I talked to the guy at boats.net he told me 6J8-48511-51-4D was superseded by the 689-48511-02. I will try again. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

That makes perfect sense to me, so when the part had only one hole in it I was scratching my head.

Comment

Here is something else to think about.

The steering hook that I think is the correct one has a 6J8 prefix. Now look at the steering bracket assembly for your motor. It also has a 6J8 prefix. The start of the model identity for most/all 30 HP motors is 6J8.

Those prefix's will tell a story is one is listening.

Comment

Working...
                            X