Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

88' v130 intermittent issue rpm reduction maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88' v130 intermittent issue rpm reduction maybe?

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum this is my first post. I have a 1988 yamaha v130 on a 18' 1987 Jason fish and ski. I have owned the boat for 5 years now and the motor has always run strong. This past season during my bass tournaments the motor was acting funny intermittently. There is one thing that it does do consistently, after I launch and we sit for a few minutes with the motor idling, when I go to take off, the boat seems to be lacking power. It will get on plane but it takes a while and it doesn't reach WOT speed. After a minute of cruising, the motor will kick right in and pick up full speed with full power. Most of the time it will run great the entire day after that, but once every couple tournaments when I am cruising it will just bog down to a complete stop out of no where and the rpms won't climb at all when in gear. While it's doing this if I take it out of gear and rev it up, it will gain rpm no problem but when I put it back in gear it won't go above a certain rpm right around the 2,000 rpm
    mark. Eventually it will gain rpm in gear after a little but I can get it to run fine again. Please if anyone has any idea I would appreciate it as some of the lakes and rivers we fish put me quite a ways from the launch and I can't have a break down during a tournament.

Thank you in advance,
    Gino

Have you checked to make sure your alarm system is working?
    Do you have gauges that will show if it is in alarm from low oil or overheat?

Full model #s are always good to post when asking about a motor

Comment

I have tested the buzzer applying voltage to it and it does work. I have the lcd marine meter I believe was originally paired with this year v130. I Do get the rpm out of the marine meter but gave never seen a change in the gauge as far as the oil warnings go. I'm not sure if the individual that installed this motor on the boat connected it corrdctly. I guess I can try setting the temp or oil switches off manually and see if that triggers an alarm and sounds the buzzer. My boat is at my work and I will post model numbers tomorrow morning. Thank you for your reply. I would like to note that this model engine came with the 703 control box if that helps. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X