Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revolution counter yamaha 40hp autolub 1998

Hello,

I recently bought a small boat and a Yamaha 40 hp autolub (1998).
    I would like to install a revolution counter on this engine, the revolution counter that was on this boat has only a white and a green wire.

Can anyone please explain wich wire i have to connect where on my outboard engine? I cannot find a connection comming from the bobine or something. This engine is handstarted so there is no cabeltree coming from the engine.

I tried to find if someone already opened a post liked this, but if I am not the first one with this question, than please direct me to the post related to this one.

Many tanks in advance

Does the motor have a battery connected? I am guessing no but...

Anyway, inspect the top of the motor under the cowling. Look for a green wire that is coming from a coil that will be mounted under the flywheel. Let us know if you find it or not. That will be the connection point for a Yamaha tachometer. However, the tachometer will also need electrical power as well which you might not have available.

There are small battery powered tachometers that you can find that might be a bit easier to install.

What is it that you want to do?

Comment

which of these 1998 40 motor model #s best matches your motor?
      1998 Yamaha Outboard Parts

Also what Tach do you have?

Pics might help if you do not have model #s

Green normally is the signal to tach from lighting coil, but as Bosco99 has already said you need more than 2 wires normally on a tach.
      Signal, ground, and power wires
      Last edited by 99yam40; 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for helping me and sorry for the late respons from my side, I had no time to work on the engine for the last weeks.

The model of my Yamaha is 40 VMHO from 1998. This engine is handstarted but there is a battery connected to the engine and the battery charger is working fine.

http://postimg.org/image/sb1vfl6kd
        View image: 20150330 135626

These links show 2 pictures, one from my engine and one from my tachometer. As you can see there are 2 cables coming from the tachometer, a white one and a green one. Also there are 3 connection point on this tacho, one for a blue trigger cable, a black one for the zero, and a red cable for the 12V.

The picture of the engine shows a thick black cable coming from under the flywheel, this cable splits in a green one and a green-white one. The green cable splits in a blue one and a green one and gives 2 connection point and goes further to battery charger (sorry, don't know the proper meaning in English). The green-white cable gives also a connection and goes further into the same battery charger.

Also visible is a white cable, this cable comes from my remote control, its for the dead mens button and the black cable is connected to the zero.

I hope someone is able to understand this confusing text, and hopefully someone can tell me how to make my tachometer working. I also asked an outboard shop, but they told me it will be difficult because it is not electric started.

Many thanks in advance
        Last edited by stevin90; 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Here is my best guess as to the situation.

The blue wire (should have been green) attached to the green wire coming from the lighting coil goes to the tachometer. It is for the input signal. The tachometer also needs 12 volt positive power and a ground. Hopefully, the tachometer is marked to indicate what goes where.

Does the tachometer have a light? The green and white wires going to the tachometer appear to be connected to a tachometer light.

What is the brand of the tachometer?

Comment

Thank you very much, I gave it a try and its working now. The tachometer shows an idle speed about 800 rpm wich should be normal. I feel kinda stupid actually because the green and white cables from the tachometer are indeed used for the light, I gave them a little pull and the light was coming out haha.

Anyway, many thanks for your advice and keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
            X