Hour Meter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hour Meter Question

I recently purchased a boat with a 2012 F25LEHB motor. This is a tiller operated motor with a push button start. I would like to install an hour meter but thinking without a key doesn’t this motor have continuous power? If this is the case an hour meter would run continuously. Can anyone confirm it there is continuous power to this motor?

Not sure why you are asking about continuous power to the motor.

You have a battery given that it is an electric start model. Do you use a battery switch between the battery and the motor? That would be one way to power an hour meter so that it is on when the motor is being used and off when the motor is not being used.

With respect to the hour meter clocking time, Yamaha makes versions that will only record engine run time when the engine is running. The hour meter being powered only by a battery does not do so.

When the motor is running, however, electrical power is being generated and fed to the CDI unit and back to the battery to recharge it.

Comment

One of our members has an hour meter that simply has a wire that wraps around a spark plug wire (so it only registers when the engine is running). I believe its a Yamaha gauge(digital).

PM Chris, username "Toulla". He has one on his 25HP..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I considered a battery cutoff switch but as forgetful as I am I would likely forget to use the cutoff. I’ll do some research on the Yamaha meter that records hours only when the engine is running. Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by 63ihscouter View Post
          I considered a battery cutoff switch but as forgetful as I am I would likely forget to use the cutoff. I’ll do some research on the Yamaha meter that records hours only when the engine is running. Thanks for the feedback!
          All kinds of meters. Here is some stuff to think about.

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

Comment

Thanks Boscoe99 the wiring schematic was very helpful!

Comment

tach

Another consideration would be a "Tiny Tach".I have one on my F20ELR.Easy to hookup,gives RPM's AND hours.

Comment

Working...
              X