Yamaha 703 Remote Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 703 Remote Differences

A few years ago, I purchased a 1998 Yamaha C115 TLRW motor with a Hurricane Fundeck 226F. By accident about a year ago, I noticed my ignition key was easy to pull out when in the "on" position with the engine running. Last week, I found my key on the floor of the boat. The key ignition is so worn, the key falls out over the first wave I hit. I also notice it is mandatory to push to choke the motor when starting as a simple turn of the key does not work anymore to crank the engine. In short; it's time for a new ignition switch!. After mentioning it to a friend, he gave me one that looks brand new and is the replacement. Before taking my remote apart to replace the switch, I thought to do a bit of research on Boat.net and at least look at a photo of the part to verify the replacement is correct. I discovered there are 4 different ignition switches; two that are 7 pin and two that are 10 pin. I also found two photos that show different connectors at the rear of the switch. Not taking my remote apart yet, I'm not sure which of the two switches I have. It seems the "New" switch my friend gave me has a large connector and buzzer that may not fit in the remote case; and the "old" switch that I believe I have just has a series of bullet connectors coming from the rear of the switch. I'm not quite sure if I should use the new switch if I discover the old one I need to replace is different. Before I tear my remote apart, I thought to ask a few questions:

* Assuming I have the "Old" style ignition, can the "New" switch be modified to fit and operate correctly?
    * Of the four types of 703 Remotes available, how can I tell which version I have?
    * How does the "7 Pin" version differ from the "10Pin" version?
    * Being I have a 1998 engine with analog meters and not digital meters in my boat, is that a factor marking the difference between a 7 and 10 pin configuration?
    * Somewhat related to the ignition switch, I have an issue with my Tach not going beyond 2000RPM before it drops to zero. After verifying both the gauge and rectifier are not the cause, is it possible a faulty
    ignition switch could cause my tach to malfunction and stop at a certain RPM reading?

Sorry to ask so many questions but..... how else does one learn?!
    Thanks for whatever knowledge anyone can share with me to help!

Originally posted by Soundear View Post
    A few years ago, I purchased a 1998 Yamaha C115 TLRW motor with a Hurricane Fundeck 226F. By accident about a year ago, I noticed my ignition key was easy to pull out when in the "on" position with the engine running. Last week, I found my key on the floor of the boat. The key ignition is so worn, the key falls out over the first wave I hit. I also notice it is mandatory to push to choke the motor when starting as a simple turn of the key does not work anymore to crank the engine. In short; it's time for a new ignition switch!. After mentioning it to a friend, he gave me one that looks brand new and is the replacement. Before taking my remote apart to replace the switch, I thought to do a bit of research on Boat.net and at least look at a photo of the part to verify the replacement is correct. I discovered there are 4 different ignition switches; two that are 7 pin and two that are 10 pin. I also found two photos that show different connectors at the rear of the switch. Not taking my remote apart yet, I'm not sure which of the two switches I have. It seems the "New" switch my friend gave me has a large connector and buzzer that may not fit in the remote case; and the "old" switch that I believe I have just has a series of bullet connectors coming from the rear of the switch. I'm not quite sure if I should use the new switch if I discover the old one I need to replace is different. Before I tear my remote apart, I thought to ask a few questions:

* Assuming I have the "Old" style ignition, can the "New" switch be modified to fit and operate correctly? Unknown to me but probably.
    * Of the four types of 703 Remotes available, how can I tell which version I have? Inspect the casting for any markings and/or numbers or letters. Compare your 703 housing with parts catalog illustrations to try and see what configuration that you have.
    * How does the "7 Pin" version differ from the "10Pin" version? 7 pin is used for motors without trim and tilt. 10 pin is used for motors with trim and tilt.
    * Being I have a 1998 engine with analog meters and not digital meters in my boat, is that a factor marking the difference between a 7 and 10 pin configuration? Nope.
    * Somewhat related to the ignition switch, I have an issue with my Tach not going beyond 2000RPM before it drops to zero. After verifying both the gauge and rectifier are not the cause, is it possible a faulty
    ignition switch could cause my tach to malfunction and stop at a certain RPM reading? Possibly but not likely. Key switch provide battery power and ground to the tachometer. Tachometer signal comes via a green wire in either a 7 pin or 10 pin harness.

Sorry to ask so many questions but..... how else does one learn?!
    Thanks for whatever knowledge anyone can share with me to help!
    See above.

Comment

Thanks for reviewing my questions and providing some good useful information!! I appreciate your quick response as after work tonight, I'll give the change out a shot!

Comment

Working...
      X