704 double binnacle is trim/tilt rocker button not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 704 double binnacle is trim/tilt rocker button not working

The starboard trim/tilt rocker switch on my 2005 704 binnacle is not working when I try to trim my starboard motor up. The switch clicks when pressing the up position, but does not activate the pump. the down position on the switch works fine. Over the past week, the up switch has worked for a few seconds on several occasions, so I don't think it is a fuse. Looking at the exploded parts diagram at Boats.net, it looks like the starboard and port switches are separate. How complicated is it to replace a dysfunctional trim/tilt switch with a new switch For somebody like me with minimal mechanical skills?

For the sake of clarity, this is not the switch on the port gearshift lever that controls both engines, but is one of the switches at the front of the binnacle that it allows one to control trim/tilt of the individual engines.

Does the ENGINE mounted switch (usually on the starboard side), work the T&T correctly?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      Does the ENGINE mounted switch (usually on the starboard side), work the T&T correctly?
      Forgot to mention that- the motor mounted T&T switch works.

Comment

Sounds like the switch itself is the issue being the engine mounted switch works.

Here's a link for a 704, should be close to yours, looks like the switch is plug and play ONCE you tear into the unit:

Part #41
        Capture.JPG
        https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...rts-704-single
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMart View Post
          The starboard trim/tilt rocker switch on my 2005 704 binnacle is not working when I try to trim my starboard motor up. The switch clicks when pressing the up position, but does not activate the pump. the down position on the switch works fine. Over the past week, the up switch has worked for a few seconds on several occasions, so I don't think it is a fuse. Looking at the exploded parts diagram at Boats.net, it looks like the starboard and port switches are separate. How complicated is it to replace a dysfunctional trim/tilt switch with a new switch For somebody like me with minimal mechanical skills?

For the sake of clarity, this is not the switch on the port gearshift lever that controls both engines, but is one of the switches at the front of the binnacle that it allows one to control trim/tilt of the individual engines.
          you may have missed the last part of his 1st post

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

you may have missed the last part of his 1st post
            Didn't know there was another switch on the front of the binnacle.. If so, sounds like THAT switch isn't working as the motor mounted T&T switch works..
            Scott

Comment

One of mine is dead. Please post up how easy or difficult the job is. I've got a spare switch ready to go.

Comment

"oh my" easy, peasy. Hook up a DVM at the solenoid and test..... Duhh !

Comment

they are asking about replacing the switch , not testing it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    they are asking about replacing the switch , not testing it
                    Anyone got a pic or link on where this other switch is? Just curious..
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                      "oh my" easy, peasy. Hook up a DVM at the solenoid and test..... Duhh !
                      Are you always a tool or did we just catch you at your zenith?

Comment

_Jgyeg_rKe8rMFkpkFpE9l3djUWF27q7uhyh1CIfUhWWP8g5fAZdWVgij__Axl3cVzB6NmwWy7J8VDc1JiJDfp1zSp8mNrmzIkXDit53_EHniudaAW-Kfss4zFDLmjmV.jpg
                        Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Didn't know there was another switch on the front of the binnacle.. If so, sounds like THAT switch isn't working as the motor mounted T&T switch works..
                        I've never seen a single-engine setup but I assume there's only the thumb switch, as there was on my old Mako (Johnson OB). With twins, you need to be able to operate the engines separately for a variety of reasons so there are two switches side by side on the top of the binnacle. Otherwise, you're exactly right. I have the same issue on my boat. The thumb switch operates both. Each engine mounted switch works. But one of the binnacle switches only trims in one direction. I've already purchased a pair of switches but have yet to get around to replacing them.
                        Last edited by oldmako69; 08-07-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Here's a pic

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                            _Jgyeg_rKe8rMFkpkFpE9l3djUWF27q7uhyh1CIfUhWWP8g5fAZdWVgij__Axl3cVzB6NmwWy7J8VDc1JiJDfp1zSp8mNrmzIkXDit53_EHniudaAW-Kfss4zFDLmjmV.jpg

I've never seen a single-engine setup but I assume there's only the thumb switch, as there was on my old Mako (Johnson OB). With twins, you need to be able to operate the engines separately for a variety of reasons so there are two switches side by side on the top of the binnacle. Otherwise, you're exactly right. I have the same issue on my boat. The thumb switch operates both. Each engine mounted switch works. But one of the binnacle switches only trims in one direction. I've already purchased a pair of switches but have yet to get around to replacing them.
                            Tks for the pic. Learn something new every day.!!

I'd never seen that before (always had a single lever). Just figured each lever would have switch...

Doing a quick search on You Tube, those two switches are simply attached to the black cover itself.
                            Once the handles are off, remove the cover. 3 wires for each switch which plug into the harness below the console..

Doesn't look bad at all..

You can see the switches in the cover of this video, pretty easy access: https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...537ced42919144

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-07-2020, 09:39 PM.
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X