No announcement yet.

70 hp yamaha shift problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok still have an issue, put the boat in the water yesterday, it shifts into forward neutral and reverse fine. however when I put it in reverse it will engage and pull me backwards like you would expect, however when I give it any throttle past idle (in reverse) it wont spin up, I can hear noise like its not fully engaged or something. Not sure if my spin is still not all the way clocked right or what by everything else works fine. Anyone have any advice?

Comment

Originally posted by vr4rhoads View Post
      Not sure if my spin is still not all the way clocked right
      Can you explain this statement a little for me

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Can you explain this statement a little for me
        Yes, I installed the lower back on I didnt have the shift spline clocked right, and it wasnt set at neutral guess, so I grabbed some pliers and found where it was in neutral by rotating it, and i could find where it was forward when i rotated it one way. the other way being reverse. anyways once I had the spline set in neutral I installed the lower then set my shift linkage to that.
        Last edited by vr4rhoads; 02-28-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

So what you call a spin is the shift linkage to lower unit?
          Where are you located?
          The slag you use is not something I recognize

Back to your problem
          Take the shift cable off of the linkage on motor
          with the con*****er and the motor in the neutral position
          Make sure the cable will slip on to the linkage without any binding
          If it will not then, adjust the cable end to where it will
          Last edited by 99yam40; 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Yeah I didnt mean to put spin, I meant spline just didnt catch that I mispelled it sorry about that. I tried doing as you explained before and this is where its at, I checked the clocking on the spline for the lower to see if its in neutral, and it was made sure there wasnt any binding when I installed it, and I had the shift cable disconnected up top and adjusted my cable to the shift rod.

Comment

Also another thing to note, when I did the method you described I had to adjust my cable all the way in basically, in fact it could have used some more but I couldnt adjust it morel

Comment

Somethings not right.

Make sure the cable is set/ clamped in the holder properly

Comment

Im going to take the lower off again and clock the spline both ways and repeat the rig, might be a tooth off or something, as is when I put it into reverse with the lever (cable disconnect) the prop will not spin in reverse, however when I turn the motor on itll go into reverse and spin just wont engage fully, when I give it gas itll grid some and not spin up like if it was fully engaged. so im going to try it at the lower and see if itll go backwards from manually moving the lower unit spline, maybe ill take a video

Comment

http://youtu.be/Sf7g2kPmrdY

This is the video I just took.

This is the follow up video with the lower off. I hope this will help clarify the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0__lhkJWYYc

Comment

From what I see in the video, it appears the lower unit has an issue inside it...

With the shifter shaft moved fully in each direction, (LU OFF) its not fully engauging forward and reverse gears.

Please wait for others to chime in.
                      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I agree, I do not think you should be able to move the shaft in the lower unit by hand like you are in video.
                        But what do I know about a 70, not much
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-01-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

So another question. I pulled that lower shifter spline out and say the teeth where no like the upper spline they where kinda tapered. Wondering if maybe that shaft being worn out might be the cause or is it more likely the lower is f'ed

Comment

I don't know what its supposed to look like but I would be pretty confident in that the shaft SHOULD NOT be tappered in there..

That shifter shaft should move only so far in each direction and shift that lower unit fully into either reverse or forward.

Your video show's your getting a bunch of play in the splined shifter shaft and NOT getting full engagment in either direction..

Can you please post a year AND model # so we can look at the parts fisch?
                            Scott

Comment

Its a 2000 c70tlry

Comment

Here's the parts fisch for the LU /shifter shaft;

2000 C70TLRY Yamaha Outboard LOWER CASING DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts

Looking at that fisch, it appears that shaft goes into part #50, the "cam shift"..

Did you pull that shaft out and if so, how does the lower end of the shaft look?
                                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X