2004 Yamaha 250 hpdi only runs when key is held to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Yamaha 250 hpdi only runs when key is held to start

2004 Yamaha 250 hpdi only runs when key is held to start. i disconnect the pin plug to bypass the key switch and its doing the same thing after i jump the plug on the engine side. i verified that it runs when held to start by disconnecting the starter wire from solenoid after the engine start any suggestions thanks in advance

Puzzling.
    Seems like hkeyswitch problem.

So lets think this through.
    What does the key switch do?
    3 things:

- it switches the white 'kill signal' wire / ground connection

- it switches the yellow "ignition" wire / red 'always hot' wire connection

- it switches the brown 'starter motor' wire / red 'always hot' wire connection

what is the key switch not doing in the 'run' position -
    but IS doing in the 'start' position ?

Comment

Hello Fairdeal thanks for the response. i disconnect the starter wire brown/white from solenoid so starter dont spin, I unplug the 10 pin plug from the engine. i used a wire at the engine end of the 10 pin plug and connect the red ,yellow and also the brown wire together then i TOUCH (not place) the starter brown/white to the solenoid and the engine starts, once engine starts i then remove the jumper from the brown wire only at the 10 pin plug engine end and motor runs for a second then dies . so in other words i bypass the key switch altogether only working at the engine end

Comment

Working...
      X