Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating 85hp yammie

hi guys,
    I have been scrolling the web looking for solutions to my problem and figured this would be the best place for answers.
    I have purchased a 85hp yamaha of approx early to mid 90's
    its running on a custom built hull and is overheating for some reason on high output. when I got the motor the spray indicator was not spraying out water and the impellor was replaced. the motor still didn't spray through the indicator and once a removed the small pipe coming from what I believe to be the cooling unit of the motor and pushed in a thin wire it finally started spraying and is spraying nicely. even on heavy output the motor is still spraying water strongly through the tell tale. I had troubles with cavitation so had to drop the motor one hole and cavitation problems have cleared up. I have not yet tested the thermostat. the thing that bothers me is the boat is running on 2 yamaha 85hp motors. and if I lighten the load on the one that overheats to keep it running for longer the other one then overheats on full output. both motors spray indicators spray a strong water current. both motors have been standing for a long time. what is the odds both thermostats are faulty? if the cooling water intake was getting air bubbles wouldn't this cause the impellor to start cavitating and reduce pressure to close to none in the water spray indicator? these motors are running on outmount brackets.
    I look forward to any advise on the matter! this has beem a 8 year project which has finally been completed only to struggle with this problem.
    regards
    Dewald

Would be good to have a model number to start with if you have it.

Comment

I am out at sea. been here for 2 weeks now. should be home in a weeks time and can check the model nr. as far as I recall its the 85AE will check for the rest of the model nr when I get back.

Comment

no other advice for me to chew on so long? can it be that the motors need to be dropped another hole?

Comment

I had an overheat problem on my 70 hp, it had a strong tell tale as well, I took the lower off and spray water through the thermostat and through the water jacket from underneath the lower unit to get crap out, ended up being some build up somewhere had a water jacket or something clogged. I was using high pressure water, nothing crazy but it def got stuff cleared

Comment

Working...
          X