thread size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread size?

Trying to find out the thread size of the oil drain plug on a 2012 Yamaha 15 hp 4 stroke. Would like to find a properly threaded piece of pipe to thread in to use during the oil change to lessen the cleanup. Thanks!!
    Last edited by TerryGull; 02-24-2015, 10:05 AM.

How will you get the drain plug out and the threaded pipe into the oil pan without oil coming out and making a mess?

Comment

its why I use a vacuum extactor and suck it out.
      some early 9.9's you had to remove the drain as it doubled as a filter.

but unless I have to I wont touch a drain plug.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        How will you get the drain plug out and the threaded pipe into the oil pan without oil coming out and making a mess?
        With the engine tilted all the way up remove the drain plug and thread in the drain tube then lower the engine and allow it to drain out the tube

Comment

Originally posted by TerryGull View Post
          With the engine tilted all the way up remove the drain plug and thread in the drain tube then lower the engine and allow it to drain out the tube
          I bought (and subsequently mis-placed) a "kit" that works as you mentioned. It is a plastic threaded male fitting with a hose... As you posted, tilt engine, no oil comes out, then tilt back down and the oil flows..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQalYBKdL8
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any way to just pick up the motor and "pour" the oil out?....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Any way to just pick up the motor and "pour" the oil out?....
              Click on that link, it does indeed work, just tilting up and then back down..
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I would think its a metric size not a pipe thread something like 12 mm 1.25 pitch I'm guessing as this is a popular size on Japanese products but I'm pretty sure its not a pipe thread size.

Don
                2011 yamaha 2 stroke 9.9 modified to 15 hp

Comment

Originally posted by TerryGull View Post
                  I can understand doing that with a motor that has the drain plug in the back of the oil pan but the F9.9 has the drain plug on the side of the oil pan.

Do the oil change one more time. You can then measure the fitting size. It is definitely metric and is not tapered.

Comment

Working...
                  X