Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 115 will not start. Need help

Hi,

I have a 1990 115 that will not start when cold.

The only way I can get it to start is to have someone at the engine manually holding the throttle wide open while i'm cranking the motor. 9 times out of 10 this will work, and once the motor is warmed up it will start normally.

Thoughts on what the issue could be?

motor is flooded, needs more air to clear it

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

What could be the cause?

Comment

how are you trying to start it cold?
        using the choke with no throttle?

Comment

Yeah, typically I would just use the choke to fire it up, but lately I have found that I need to hold the throttle open for it to start.

Comment

do you pump the primer bulb until it it tight to make sure the carbs bowls are full of fuel?
            do you use the electric choke or the manual choke?
            do you hit the choke and the release or hold it closed?
            with either on it is best to use the fast idle lever to open the throttle some to give it some extra air akso

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              do you pump the primer bulb until it it tight to make sure the carbs bowls are full of fuel? (yes)
              do you use the electric choke or the manual choke? (manual, electric stopped working sometime ago)
              do you hit the choke and the release or hold it closed? (not sure what you are asking. I pull out the manual choke on the motor and pull up on the lever on my 703 control unit)
              with either on it is best to use the fast idle lever to open the throttle some to give it some extra air akso
              I also confirmed that when using the manual choke, the valves at the carbs close.

Comment

well sounds like you are choking it too much if someone has to pull the cowling off and manually open the throttle to get it to start .

does this motor not have an electric choke you can just bump?

Comment

The electric choke's solenoid has failed, but i'm thinking I might replace it and see if that will help me.

Comment

you could pull the manual choke, turn the motor over for a few seconds, and then push it back in and spin it some more

Comment

Good idea, i'll give that a try.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X