1995 Yamaha 225 2cycle carb engine flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Yamaha 225 2cycle carb engine flooding

Engine flooding with gas... without cranking the engine and the carb covers off I can squeeze the primer ball hard and keep watching and all is good. Turn the key on and the electric fuel pump girgles instead of the normal buzz sound in a few seconds the carbs begin to flood fuel out. Any ideas? Also anyone know where the recirculation valves are located on this engine. Model L225TXRT
    Last edited by doublebarjranch; 02-21-2015, 10:39 AM.

Who put the electric fuel pump on it?

Comment

It has been on since I have owned the engine 10 years. It is under the carbs and very small

Comment

can we get a FREAKING model number?????
        in 1995 the 225 hp 2 stroke was made in two versions that vastly differed to the point of only sharing the Yamaha name plate.
        why cant folks simply post a model number so we can help??
        cant help if no one knows what we are discussing.

I still need an alternator for my 2012 ford.

Comment

Yamaha part number is 61A-13910-01-00 for the electric fuel pump.

Comment

This is a model L225 TXRT

Comment

ok
              now we know a 3.1L 225 is being discussed.
              that pump runs anytime the key is on.
              it feeds the enrichment system.
              all 6 carbs have a small solenoid valve that the ECU controls the ground path on.
              the regulator keeps the pressure in the enrichment system to less than 6 PSI.

at cold start,rapid accelleration,rapid deceleration or knock detect and the ECU can alter the fuel mix by up to 20%.

each solenoid has an oring.
              if that oring fails OR a tech leaves one(or more) out at reassembly they leak when the key is on.

Comment

Will the leak be seen outside or only internally?

Comment

depends, typically it leaks into the carb and can leak so bad it runs out the exhaust.
                  if the motor is trimmed or level it could run out the carb throats.
                  its no rocket science its a liquid and gravity.

has anyone dinked with the carbs before this started?

you don't have a recirc valve issue.
                  I will kill that rabbit now.

sounds like either the wires to the ECU are shorted or the orings have failed OR been left out.
                  not the first time I asked a tech about the orings and got a reply:what orings?

this motor is unique and not for a five star tech nor any tech who cant grasp electronic fuel controls.
                  no matter how rudimentary.

Comment

I had run the engine for a hour on the lake one day with no issues. The next day I was going to go out again and I always crank the engine on a hose run at idle make sure water pump works and let it warm up then head out. This day it started fine but before it warmed up it started slightly flooding and slight missfire. I took it to a Yamaha dealer they said the carbs needed cleaning. After getting it back it would not even cold start, I had to increse throttle to get it started. It smoked bad flooded exstreamly bad. Took it back they checked said a needle had stuck they replaced it. Still same thing took it back after they got it started they ask whats wrong it runs, in disbelief I stood there listening to it miss fire and strong gas odor. Took it to another yamaha 5 star dealer and after two weeks of hearing one thing after another and $1100.00 I picked it up with there final theroy being that although I have 115 lbs compression that they belive the back end of cylinder skirts must be scored causing a vacume loss causing my problem. As soon as I got home I hooked it up and there the flooding is still. Yes the carbs and linkage have been messed with. The second dealer said the first dealer put the jets back it wrong locations for carb positions. Yep im frustrated. Just tested with key on carbs #2,3&5 pour out gas will stop with key off.
                    Last edited by doublebarjranch; 02-21-2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Not sure where you are located, but see if you can find a yamaha master tech at a Yamaha shop close to you
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-21-2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

hahahaha
                        5 star
                        while a good start a 5 star simply means a tech passed a video course.

my bet is not only are the carbs thoroughly pooched now but some of the solenoid orings are missing.

that setup has been out of production for about 20 years now.
                        means that 25 yr old tech most likely never saw one.

your best bet at this point is to find a dealership with a tech that has been at it at least 20 yrs and has a master tech certifiucate on the wall.

the system is unique in the fact that it can destroy an engine due to a failed lift pump,a failed oring on a solenoid or a faulty/missing t-stat on the stbd side.

once you do a few dozen and work behind some untrained techs the system gets pretty easy.
                        only when it throws code 11 is there an issue most techs and even Kennesaw did not know . if you get a code 11 I will solve it for a few jacksons .

Comment

O-rings are missing on #2,3&5. Thank you ever so much, that will solve this issue as soon as I get all 6 orings replaced so I can continue. Thank you again. New to this forum but ill remember to put model in if I have problems again with one of my Yamahas, your the best.

Comment

One of the most important parts of being a mechanic (IMO) is to know when to not mess with something that one does not know squat about, particularly when there is little to no documentation about the product (which is the majority of the time with Yam crap data). Although I will admit Yamaha are getting better with their data. Not yet there but they seem to be trying.

Reading some of these poor owners tales of woe, after a mechanic has screwed the pooch with their stuff, makes me think of the old transmission commercial were bubba was dying to work on one of them thar things out under his shade tree. That thing being an electronically con*****ed transmission. Or something to that effect.

Comment

What is the position of the manual fuel enrichment valve?

Hopefully it is in the OFF position. If in the ON position it will provide excess fuel.

Sometimes it is the simple stuff that bites ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X