cut wires on 1991 225 tlrp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cut wires on 1991 225 tlrp

I just bought a used 225 tlrp, and 4 of the wires have been cut at the motor just below the cdi box.
    They are green,green-red,yellow and yellow-red. The green and green-red wires were sent with the motor and go to the tach. i assume the yellow goes to switch on. I have no clue to where yellow-red goes. Thanks for any help!!

They probably are the wires for the trim and warning sensors going to gauges but you would be better off taking it to a Yamaha dealer to make sure. None of those wires get connected to key switch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks Boat.net for the reply. I should have described these better. They are part of the main wire harness on the side of the motor. I have the connectors for the 10 pin and for the oil tank but these were clipped coming out of the harness.thanks

Comment

Did you unwrap the electrical tape off the motor side of the harness? I think the yellow wire you say is clipped may splice into the brown power supply wire to the remote oil tank pump. I had a problem on my old carbed Yamahas once with the remote oil pump not working at all. Turned out to be the butt splice underneath all the harness tape wrap, between the yellow (hot w/ign ON) wire coming out of the brain box, and the brown oil pump harness (ign power to the pump). It was odd because the wiring changed colors under the tape wrap and I wouldn't have found it without removing all the tape. I just changed the butt splice to a tinned sealed type and made a new connection and no problems since. The early Yamaha harness wiring wasn't even tinned wiring and was prone to corrosion problems. They seemed to fix that with the introduction of the Saltwater Series motors. Do you have a service manual for the motor? I know they weren't much to go by back then, but it might help.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Hamfisted for the reply, these wires can be traced back to the micro computer ( box on back ). I do have a manual for this model and it shows these four wires going to the tach. I ordered the tach wiring harness (6y5-83553-n0-00) from boats.net. But it still makes no sense. I can hook up color matched wires but there isn't yellow-red, and was told not to hook up yellow to switch on power.I may be missing something else. I have a 703 control box and the 10-pin harness is hooked up. When you turn switch on I'm not getting any power to the brown activation wire on the starter relay.Does anything else have to be hooked up just to get the motor to turn over. thanks

Comment

The wires that are cut probably are the trim, oil level, and overheat sensor wires that connect 68F-82553-70-00 Trim/oil Harness that goes to the Tach(thae four pin connectotrs on tach) but it is going to be difficult to wire in because the colors are not going to match( better off getting your dealer to wire this up). The 6Y5-83553-N0-00 harness connects between yellow,green,black wires on 703 control box and tach for power and tach signal. If no power on brown wire at start solenoid then and the trim does work(if trim or nothing works check fuse at engine) then check the neutral switch inside 703 control box.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X